Penis stuck out!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsmom

One of my boys has been sick for a while and on baytril for a URI. The URI isn't getting better but isn't getting worse either. He's been on the meds for 2-3 months. He breathes harder and sneezes sometimes, but doesn't wheeze. He is 2-2.5 years old. He hasn't been eating much lately and has lost weight. He mostly just eats baby food now and some oxbow. He's just not feeling well. His poops are formed and normal.

I just noticed that his penis is stuck out. I've tried to gently put it back in (I've had to do it with him before a long time ago) but it won't go back in. He cries when I touch it (he doesn't like being touched in general ever). He can still pee, and knows when he has to pee because he pees in his litter box. He keeps licking it but can't get it to go in. I've tried warm water but that doesn't help.

The e-vet doesn't open for a few more hours and while they see rats, I don't know if they have experience with them. I need help!

ADDED: There is no white tip at the end so I don't think it's a plug.

DSC_0289_zps4867fa23.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsca05650e.jpg

DSC_0284_zpsd7c1c5b7.jpg

Last edited:
Have you checked for a penis plug recently since he hasn't been feeling well and may not have been cleaning himself properly?

Have you felt around his urethra to see if there's a lump inside that is pushign it out?

Your best bet is to get him on an anti-inflammatory like metacam (from vet) or infant liquid ibuprofen, as this can bring down the swelling and allow you to wheedle his penis inside. Make sure it doesn't dry out, see if you can get a hold of a water based lubricant like KY jelly if possible.

I gave him infant ibuprofen about an hour ago. I'm going to go get some KY jelly.

I didn't notice a penis plug (I've had boys with them before, not him though). I gently squeezed incase it was deeper but nothing came out. He won't sit still when I try (he's never been a social rat) and bit me very hard so I had to stop for now. I didn't notice any lumps.

Should the KY make it go in right away or can it take a while? Should we go to the vet? I've separated him with one of his brothers in a clean cage with yesterdays news for now. How should I get at it when he fights it and bites?

You should have someone hold him while you place a drop of the lubricant on his penis and try to ease it back in. It may be painful, so stop if it doesn't go back easily. The lubricant is to help, or to keep it moist until you can see a vet.

Just to be sure about two things...

What is the right infant ibuprofen dose for him? He's 400g and the infant ibuprofen I have is 200mg/5ml.

And does the type of KY jelly matter? I looked online and saw a bunch of different types. I'm sure I don't want "warming" or "tingling". There was a sensitive, non-irritating one, is that what I want

I had this happen to one of my males before. I did soak his bottom in a little warm water for a bit and put a bit of Polysporin on the exposed penis and it slowly worked its way back in. I think sometimes the inside of the penis, which is a mucous membrane type flesh can get 'stuck' and dry in place, so yes, lubrication, be it with K-Y jelly or another water-based lubricant is probably a good thing. The metcam should allow him some pain reduction and inflammation reduction, for sure. Is he licking at it a lot? I hope your little one feels better soon; poor angel.

I never did figure out what caused it. I just kept giving him ibuprofen and dipping him in lube. He bit every time I went near the area so I couldn't apply lube just to that spot or work it in. He never bit before, was just in pain. So I had a tub of it and had to dip him in them wipe him down with wipes. A mess, but it worked. It finally looked completely normal yesterday. He can't reach that area anymore and his brothers don't groom him because he runs away making a crying noise, so I don't think he did it on his own.

Back