Peeing in their bed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critter

I've noticed my rats seem to pee in their bed and blankets. Not just dribbles but large amounts. Is this normal? Also if I don't attach the blankets to the cage then they just drag them down into the bedding and pee on them more. Or pull potty pads from the bottom of the cage up into their bed. Its kinda gross because then they smell and I don't handle them as much until cleaning day and bath time. Any way to stop these things?

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution but it would be interesting to see what more experienced rat parents on the forum have to say. I just change blankets and do lots of laundry. I have a boy who is a bit lazy in the washing department so I take non-scented baby wipes and wipe him down.

Good luck.

Rizzo pulls back his fleece(only on the bottom level of the cage) in every corner and pees and he still does it in his potty in the corner. He doesn't like his fleece to get wet. His water bottle leaked once and his fleece got wet so he bunched the whole thing up in one pile in the middle of the cage and wouldn't walk on it. :snooty: He has used his potty to poo in ever since I brought him home. He hasn't ever pooed any where but in his potty...I am very lucky there.

Do they pee on their other toys or things that aren't fleece? (Maybe they don't like it) I would try not using any fleece if they don't.

Some are just natural born "marinators". This does tend to be more a boy thing in my house, but I've had my share of marinating girls too. In cages where they pee their bed, we change their blankies every day. Everyone else gets their's changed every other day. Although many rats are great at using their litter box to poo....they do tend to pee pretty much wherever. We line our cages with fleece....and I'll often see someone climb out of bed, just a few steps....pee....and go back to bed. :roll:

If you notice them smelling like pee.....imagine what their noses and respiratory systems are going through. They might think it's ok to pee the bed, but they don't understand having to smell it, is harmful on their lungs. Try changing their blankets as often as possible...it will keep you and the ratties both happy. :)

Rattie Kisses, if you have success please let us know. Mine pee on their hammocks and fleece all the time. Once when several girls had squished themselves into one of those grass balls, I saw one point her butt out and pee from there.... she didn't want to lose her spot in the ball!

When I take out the fleece liners to wash them, if the pee has dried the fleece is actually a bit stiff from dried pee.

I swear by towels. Seriously. Fleece doesn't absorb anything, it smells faster, and becomes stiff when liquid finally seeps into it.

= S

I have a problem i have 3 female (beautiful) rats. they are ermmm 4 months old ish.
BUT they keep peeing in there bed. and i am having to clean there bed out every day.
I did read some where that they pee in there bed as they are babies and can't make it through the night but =S it's getting quite hard trying to do this every day.

Has any one got any ideas of a bed i can use that i wont have to chang so much?
I am currently using a plastic box with a tunnel wich the love but they are sleeping in there own pee.

please help = (

Luff Kitti

Kittiwillow said:
= S

I have a problem i have 3 female (beautiful) rats. they are ermmm 4 months old ish.
BUT they keep peeing in there bed. and i am having to clean there bed out every day.
I did read some where that they pee in there bed as they are babies and can't make it through the night but =S it's getting quite hard trying to do this every day.

Has any one got any ideas of a bed i can use that i wont have to chang so much?
I am currently using a plastic box with a tunnel wich the love but they are sleeping in there own pee.

please help = (

Luff Kitti

Do they have access to a litterbox? Is it large enough? What kind of litter are you using?

[b]yeh they have a litter tray and its fairly large. I am using carefresh.
they are peeing and ppoing in lots of places as well tho not just in there bed. and i am preety sure i am traiing them right. i havbe put the tray where they favoured the most and put there smell in it but ><
I am not sure that using a plstic bed is ideal as the pee is not obsorbing in to the bed where as with a hammock it is >< [/b]

Back