Pee spraying outside cage - help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biologygrrrl

My girls have a habit of backing up their rear ends in a corner on one of the upper levels of their cage and peeing. The pee then drips and/or sprays all over the floor etc. Aside from putting up those metal barrier things around all the walls, is there anything else I can do? They almost never pee on the bottom level where the bedding is, they prefer to pee in the upper corners. they only poop on the bottom.

Suggestions??

Here's a photo of our cage when I first set it up, there are different hides, toys and a different wheel but otherwise it's the same.

DSC00846.jpg

Last edited:
Well you could make "scatter guards" out of something like corroplast and hang them in the areas where they pee.

You could put litter boxes where they are peeing.
You could also put a litter box just anywhere besides the bottom, as long as its closer to where they're peeing. You may also consider some fleece for all of the levels. I had a Rat Manor, and I'd just cut fleece to size and lay them on the levels. The fleece will be more comfortable, prevent bumblefoot, and soak up pee. You can change out the fleece every few days and would surely help with the pee spreading.

Otherwise, you can put some newspaper or fleece where the pee is ultimately dripping to, which will make it easier to clean/maintain.

Make sure to clean the bars of the cage too, as ammonia and yucky smells will build up. I recommend wiping them down with 1 part vinegar and 2-3 parts water solution once a week. :)

Last edited:
The nasty rat manor! No suggestions my boys peed outside and all over it too!! Hated to clean it and decorate it it was so difficult!!!

That cage really should have solid levels. :(
Your rats could get bumblefoot and sprains/fractures from the wire flooring...

That cage really should have solid levels. :(
Your rats could get bumblefoot and sprains/fractures from the wire flooring...

I didn't know about that until now... :( I like the pp's suggestion about the fleece, I have a whole box in the basement!

The nasty rat manor! No suggestions my boys peed outside and all over it too!! Hated to clean it and decorate it it was so difficult!!!

DO you have a CN cage now? I looked at pics and can't see how the corners would be different. What made the difference with yours not peeing in the corners of a CN habitat?

DO you have a CN cage now? I looked at pics and can't see how the corners would be different. What made the difference with yours not peeing in the corners of a CN habitat?

I have 3 DCN, with the rat manor I also put down fleece with binder clips, but my 2 nakie boys are the worst when it comes to pee!!! They are not as bad in the DCN (they have the top), but I still have to scrub the bars with them, but they keep it inside now - maybe cause they know have large liter pains.

I didn't know about that until now... :( I like the pp's suggestion about the fleece, I have a whole box in the basement!
Just get those wire floors covered with something and it'll be all right!

THICK fleece, plastic, wood, etc.

Back