peaches' tumor turning black- what does it mean?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

peaches was diagnosed with terminal cancer a little while back. there are 2 tumors by her groin that are visible and now quite large, and when they were smaller we were able to feel smaller tumors by palpitating her lower abdomen. the tumors are affecting her gait and are dragging on the floor some now too but peaches refuses to acknowledge their presence and other then making a minor accommodation for her gait seems otherwise unaffected. but now the one by her groin (which has been taking over more and more of her lady bits its seems) is turning black. is this a sign that the tumor is necrotising? i've seen pictures and heard stories on here about that happening sometimes, does that mean that peaches WILL get sick from it or can she be ok for another little while? the tumors are big and look so bad but she doesn't seem to care about them so i don't want to make her stop if she doesn't want to. but then i worry that she will keep forcing herself to go on, be another rosie and not will never chose to stop on her own. i don't want her to suffer but i don't want to rob her of any time that she wants. if this blacking skin is something that is going to slowly poison her i don't want to have her go through that before we decide enough is enough. but if its just going to be a blemish or something that will right itself given enough time i don't want to take that opprotunity away from her either. i don't know what to do, could i get some advice from people that have faced this sort of thing before?

Yes it sounds like they are going necrotic. Time for pain meds if she needs them and watch it carefully for ruptures or her not feeling well. I am sorry. :sad3:

how long do you think she has left before it starts to cause her pain? she's had the black spot for going on 3 days now and so far she doesn't seem to notice it.

They can be black for awhile before it affects her. But watch her closely. When she starts to zone our, stops playing as well as eating...that will be time.
We had 3 rats here with cancer in the groin, it wraps around the urethra which makes it impossible to remove and that's when it starts to hurt her. Watch if she stops eliminating... that's when there will be pain.

Back