Peaches: Dec 21/04 - Jan 08/08 (Graphic Warning!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay

Today was definitely time to say goodbye to my hairless girlie, whom i've cared for since she was just a wee little one of about 4 weeks of age. She lived a very long life which surprised and shocked the hell out of me since I had heard that hairless rats tend to live shorter-than-average lives and she had been a sniffly rat ever since she was young.

Peaches had several tumors in her hind end that were starting to take over her body. It was becoming obvious, based on her weightloss, that the nutrients in her food were beginning to feed the tumors rather than her body. She was a bag of bones. Every bone in her little body was visible when she would walk around. She had a cataract in one eye and was starting to have trouble getting around... but she still ate and slept and seemed fairly happy. I have an appointment on Monday to take the kitten in for his needles and decided that I would take Peaches with me and have her PTS that night since she was in such rough shape.... but today was her day and she let me know that.

** WARNING! The rest of this story is not for the weak-stomached**

This morning around 11:30 I arrived home after a drs appointment. I went into the living room to sort out some stuff that I got on my way home when I noticed that Peaches was stumbling around in the cage and falling all over the place. I was worried that she might be in distress or possibly having a stroke so I went to the cage to investigate. What I found sent me into a complete state of shock and panic and disbelief. Peaches was eating her tail. There was a long string of.... I don't know what... hanging from the end of her tail and was stretched the length of her torso, wrapped up around her front leg, and she was eating it. There was no blood but there was a bit of oozing. It appeared as though she ate about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the end of her tail completely off and there was a little nub of bone sticking out of the end. I freaked out. I didn't know what to do, who to call, where to go, and most importantly how to get her to stop. I called my boyfriend and told him I needed to get to the vet NOW to have her PTS. He immediately dropped his paintbrush and drove over to get me. I then called the vet clinic and told them what was happening and let them know I was coming in. I then grabbed her in a blanket, wrapped her, and held her in a way that she couldn't get at her tail. It was probably close to 20 minutes before I got to the vet clinic.

I told the vet the situation and she opened the blanket just to see her head and managed to get a peek at the tail in the process. She said, "yes, she's got quite the mess there... and she's trying to get at it again and i'm not going to let her!" She then took her out back to get the gas on her and then she came back in to see if I wanted to stay with her while she passed. I declined. Not only did I not want to hold her bag of bones but she was in too much of a mess for me to want to touch her. The vet agreed and said, "As soon as I took the blanket off of her and her head was free she immediately went back to trying to chew on her tail. I've been a vet for a long time and I've seen a lot of things and that really made me nauseous." I said I wasn't surprised to hear that.

So, I left the vet to finish with the euth and I headed home.

I have never been so grossed out. I didn't puke or gag or anything... which surprised me... but I still, 5 hours later, have the vision in my head and I don't see it going away any time soon. I was extremely lucky that I didn't go to work today because who knows what kind of mess I would have come home too... and i'm sure the other 2 rats would probably have joined in.

I very much enjoyed having Peaches around for the 3 years of her long life. She was a pleasure to watch, and she had a personality like no other. I'm going to miss her, but I am not sad to see her go... after what I saw today I am a little more relieved that it's all over. She was very much ready and to have her now at peace is a blessing.

RIP Peaches. Mommy loves you.

It's gotta send your senses for a loop to see your little loved one in such distress that she would do that to herself.
I'm sorry for you and Peaches that it couldn't have ended more peacefully for you both..
I hope time can help you put this memory behind all the good ones.

I'm sorry. Be at peace, Peaches.

Sounds like she was a well loved girl... I'm sorry you had to lose her, and in such a scary, terrifying way.

I'm so sorry that you lost her in such a distressing way.
I'm sure she's at peace now with a restored and healthy body to play in.

I'm sorry to hear about your Peaches, but its very possible your girl got her tail caught in something and degloved it. It peels the skin back and often there's just the bone showing. The rat will lick and bite at the painful tail but they aren't eating it...I just want you to not have that thought in your head when you think of Peaches.

((hugs))

I'm so sorry about the passing of your sweet girl :roseopen: you just need to remember the good memories of her and not the sad end when she wasn't really herself :cry:

It really is a disturbing event but all kinds of things can happen either it being an accident or neurological. In any case she's at peace now.
I'm so sorry for your loss but what a wonderful long life she had with you.

I am so sorry. It's tough to have your last memory of her like that. Let's hope that, with time, you will be able to recapture all the good times in her long life with you.

lilspaz68 said:
I'm sorry to hear about your Peaches, but its very possible your girl got her tail caught in something and degloved it. It peels the skin back and often there's just the bone showing. The rat will lick and bite at the painful tail but they aren't eating it...I just want you to not have that thought in your head when you think of Peaches.

((hugs))

I thought about that... but there really isn't anything in the cage that could cause that kind of injury... and she was definitely eating it when I found her. There was no sign of any blood or tissue anywhere in the cage. Also, the way the vet said she went right back to it as soon as she got her head free kinda confirmed that it was indeed something neurological.

Thank you all for the replies. I spent most of yesterday rather traumatized but at least today i'm able to eat a little better without feeling sick. I'm so sorry that she had to go the way she did. I wish it could have been more peaceful for her. I'm just thankful that the other rats were sleeping at the time and that I was home to find her when I did....

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry: What a horrible experience you and your poor, poor sweetie had to go through. But now Peaches is at peace and you can move on and try to remember the good times you had with your sweet old girl. :rose2:

what a terrible thing to have to witness!!! :shock:

I'm so sorry. :tearful: I have never heard of a rat eating it's own tail!

The precious little lady is now in a wonderful place. She had a good, long, life which she was lucky enough to share with you.

You did well :hugs: :rose: :love6:

It never seems to fail for me that they never go in their sleep peacefully, something always traumatic happens at the end, and I know how you feel. They always have to give mommy a heart attack. I am truly sorry, and I wish peaches could still be with you, but I know she had a wonderful ratty life!

Back