Peach Pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

Hello Fellow Rat Lovers
I have a 1 yr old female named Peach I adopted her and her friend Sterling (18 mo. old male) Who have separate cages but the previous owner put Peach into Sterlings cage several times before she gave them to me. Once being a few days before I got them Sept. 19 2013. Her belly looks very round, has grown quite a bit since I got them. Not sure if pregnant or just that she is being fed better.
Is there anything besides taking her to the vet 1hr away, that I can do to check this?

Do you have a digital kitchen scale you can weigh her on? Tracking her daily weight is a good way to tell. I have no experience with pregnant females, but I think I remember reading that it is dangerous to poke or prod the belly much as it damages the babies inside, if there are babies.

dspch911 said:
The ladies here with experience I'm sure will also like to see pictures.
Of her belly? or if she has babies?
I cannot find my camera, I think my cat took it (as strange as that sounds) He has picked up and moved things as heavy as a pair of my pants to take to his bed to sleep on.
I don't have a small scale, but I may be able to borrow one from work. But if she is I only have a few days left and I have not weighed her since I got her so I have no comparison.
And I knew not to poke her belly. I have tried scouring the internet and it tells you how NOT to test for pregnancy in rats.

SterlingRats0408 said:
dspch911 said:
The ladies here with experience I'm sure will also like to see pictures.
Of her belly? or if she has babies?
I cannot find my camera, I think my cat took it (as strange as that sounds) He has picked up and moved things as heavy as a pair of my pants to take to his bed to sleep on.
I don't have a small scale, but I may be able to borrow one from work. But if she is I only have a few days left and I have not weighed her since I got her so I have no comparison.
And I knew not to poke her belly. I have tried scouring the internet and it tells you how NOT to test for pregnancy in rats.

Of her belly, from what I've seen they are usually pear shaped

At this point, you should be able to feel the babies and even see them move when you watch her belly.
That's really too bad because a 1 year old female giving birth is not good, her health could be compromised now.

Thankfully, in general she is a healthy girl. But I am worried about her and I want to know everything I can so I can be there for her should there be any problems. I am hoping its just healthy weigh gain, but I don't know as I just got her 2 weeks ago.

hello, quick question to jorats. why would her health be affected? Is it because she is to old or to young?

Thanks

rat's under the age of 4 months and over the age of 8 months shouldn't be bred, is what i've read. but if you got her only 2 weeks ago you have a week left. they're pregnant for 21-25 days. take all levels out of her cage and give her some paper towel to make a nest. are her nipples sticking out? they remove the hair from the nipples when they're getting ready for labour.

bell89 said:
hello, quick question to jorats. why would her health be affected? Is it because she is to old or to young?

Thanks

kathleenford has answered your question.
But at 12 months, a rat is middle age. That would be like a human having a baby at 40, there are more complications and it puts a strain on the body.

Nothing. I think she might have just been porking up on her food and snacks. And I have discovered my Fiance (Mr. I don't see why you'd want a rat for a pet) has been giving her lots of snacks and extras!!
She seems to be just a healthy chubby bellied girl!

She certainly does have him wrapped! She will run and climb around her cage loudly to get his attention if she sees him come from the kitchen with anything resembling a treat!
We got a new cage for Peach and a new friend!! 4month old female. Not sure what to call her yet! Some names we have considered are 'cream', 'sugar snap', 'fuzz', 'nectarine', 'lavender', 'duchess'. We also have 2-5 females from local people who are giving them away. I also have a line on some males but its from a breeder of feeders so I have to be savvy about it!
Anyway exciting part is the new 3 story cage, on a beautiful shelving unit that has lock downs.for the cage so no tip overs or accidents can happen.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back