Parasite 'brainwashes' rats to be attracted to cats!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat.charmer

I sent a friend of mine the video of "Rat loves Cat" and he told me about this parasite, Toxoplasma gondii. An infected rat will lose its natural fear to the smell of cat urine specifically. This parasite just loves to reproduce in the guts of feline, so it's evolved the perfect way of moving from rat to cat...by being delivered on a silver platter by the fearless rat, straight to the cat!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -rats.html

http://storybank.stanford.edu/stories/d ... rcher-says

How very interesting. I wonder if that parasite causes shorten lifespan in rats. Should we start treating our rats for this parasite? And what about the cats? How bad is this parasite to them?
I'll have to research that but so very interesting...

Yes this is the same parasite that is the reason pregnant women should not clean litter boxes.
if you read up on it researchers are starting to think Toxoplasmosis Parasite May Trigger Schizophrenia And Bipolar Disorders in some humans!

I brought a Veterinary Nursing book home from college tomorrow for my Anatomy project. It has some information in it about Toxoplasma Gondii. I will try and type some of the information up. I was going to read this yesterday but i was in the middle of my dinner and had been reading about virus's, bacteria and fungus in my Animal Health lectures all day and didn't want to go there again LOL.

So the book i have is 'Veterinary Nursing' Second Edition by D.R. Lane & B. Cooper - it is an old version from 2001 - the newest version is only as a Reference book in the library :doh:

Toxoplasma gondii
The final host for T.Gondii is the cat. Sexual reproduction occurs in the epithelial cell sof the small intestine. Oocysts are produces that are passed in the faeces. The cat usually shows no sign of infection and normally, after excreting oocysts for about 10days, becomes immune and stops production. Asexual reproduction occurs in the extra-intestinal (outside of the intestine) tissue of almost any animal. Following ingestion of oocysts or asexual stages the sporozoites leave the intestine and travel to tissue, particularly muscle or brain. Here they divide to form tachyzoites. Once an immune response is started by the host these undergo slower division; they are then known as bradyzoites. these remain in the tissue in hope that they will one day be eaten by a cat.
These cysts in tissue are minute and cause little problem except in certain circumstances:

- A ewe is infected for the first time during pregnancy. Some cysts may occur in the placenta and may cause abortion.
- A woman is infected for the first time during pregnancy, e.g. by eating meat containing bradyzoites or accidentally swallowing sporulated oocysts. Infection of the foetus may result and, depending on the stage of pregnancy, this may result in abortion, severe abnormalities or no clinical signs at all. Fortunately, infections during human pregnancy are not common. Further information and information leaflets can be obtained from the Toxoplasmosis Trust.
- Infection in humans may be associated with malaise and flu-like symptoms that vary in severity from individual to individual.
- Cysts in immunosuppresed individuals may once again begin to undergo rapid division and cause severe tissue lesions.

In order to try and prevent these infections occuring:
- Farmers are advised to prevent cats, particularly young cats, from getting into food stores intended for sheep. There is now a vaccine against toxoplasma for sheep.
- Pregnant woman are advised to take precautionary measures. For example, they should not clean out cat litter trays, they should wear gloves when gardening and they should ensure all meat is thoroughly cooked before eating it.

There is no effective treatment to prevent oocysts shedding in the cat. Children that have been infected prenatally are treated with antibacterials to prevent any long-term efects.
It is now recognised that there is a seperate parasite, Neospora Caninum, that may cause incoordination in young dogs and abortion in cattle. In the past, infection was normally ascribed to Toxoplasmia gondii. It is believed that the dog may be the final host for this parasite.

ETA: wow, that looked like so much more information when iw as typing it up LOL

Although the primary host are cats (domestic & wild), the parasite can be carried by many warm-blooded animals including mice and birds as well as rats. It sounds like it resembles coccidia :? .

I first heard about this a few years ago when I saw a documentary on a parasitic worm that infects snails. Once the worm is inside the snail, it forces the snail to climb to the top of a branch or long blade of grass where the snail then becomes a prime target for birds. When a bird consumes part of an infected snail, the parasite then infects the bird. The bird will spread the worm's eggs in its droppings and when new snails consume the droppings, they become infected and the cycle starts all over again.

[youtube:r5e39fd2]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWB_COSUXMw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWB_COSUXMw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:r5e39fd2]

I read up a lot about this. Scary enough, this bacteria that attacts rats and leads them to their death is also carried in humans and causes a similar effect.

One of the write ups stated it didnt affect the rats health. Now for the rats to get T G they would have to eat the feces. As long as we who have cats dont allow our rats near the litter pan I would assume our ratties are safe. But just to make sure My pan will be moved to a whole different location in the house.

Back