Pandi has lice?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amruiz

My boyfriend Jorge mentioned that Pandora was awful itchy and rolling about a lot. So when I went over before work today I gave her a look over and noticed a couple of red moving "dots", upon closer inspection it looks like lice.

So we'll be making a trip to the vet this weekend as Jorge's dog Pluto is due for his booster shots and we want to start him on heartworm meds, so we'll have to get him tested for it. I've never dealt with lice on rats before, so I did a bit of research online and the biggest remedy was to procure a set of "Revolution" for kittens. So let's see how it goes.

Wish me luck guys! :heart:

Revolution should clear up the problem very nicely. Tell your vet that you've researched it carefully and that every rat expert you've contacted has reccomended it to you.

Make sure you treat your other girls at the same time. One tube of kitten formula will be quite adequate to do all 3. Some vets won't sell it to you unless they do a "skin scraping" first. It's just a money grab really, so whatever you do don't tell him you have 3 rats or he/she will want to do all 3 and charge you accordingly!

And you'll have to give your cages and all the accesories a good cleaning too.

Good luck!

:thumbup:

you can also use horse wormer paste and no need for skin scrap nether you can get horse paste from any horse supply store http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php and being your in TX there must be some horse stores no RX needed nether. just thought to point it out too it could be cheaper in the long run.

Right now i am also using horse paste as some of my rats had scabs >.< And after one treatment no more scabs (but you give for three weeks, once a week no matter what)

If you can see them......they're lice and the only time a skin scrape is necessary is if you think they have mites. I like the ivermectin myself.....works everytime. :thumbup:

Yo guys! So I was thinking about the other methods and I read about the reply about Ivermectin and clicked the link that you posted, lilangel and was wondering which of the products is safest to use. I figure since it's easier to get and I could keep it around for "breakouts."

Is that really acceptable or would it be best to take Pandi to the vet? Sorry to be a bother, I'm still kind of a "newbie". I went a long time without any real knowledge of how to take care of my little ones and now I'm determined to know every single option available to me and which is the best.

You know?

Thanks again everyone. :heart:

Back