Painting Cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Wayne was thinking about covering any metals spots with black paint and to paint the white shelves black to match with the cage. Can you infact do this. If so what paint would you use. And how long before you put the rats back in. Time is not such a big issue because we do have our other cage which would be ok in the interm.

I myself wouldnt paint the cage. Even if the paint was non toxic or something like that, then what if your rats did eat some? There could be something else in the paint thts dangerous.

Normal paint won't hold up to the wipe downs, pee, poop, scrubbing, vinegar, bleach, etc.. It'll come off in a limited amount of time even if the rats don't instantly chew it off. Some people have claimed they can use appliance paint, but it's my understanding that this paint is toxic, so it really isn't an option...

You could always see if you can find somewhere that does Powder Coating, such as a private garage that does custom builds, or some other companies that do other powder coating. Otherwise, I think chipped paint and non matching shelves are just a fact of rat ownership..

javakittie said:
Otherwise, I think chipped paint and non matching shelves are just a fact of rat ownership..

HAHA so true. I think we are just going to pass. Probably better.

It's sort of like 30lb bags of YN sitting next to your bed.. or the craft bins now full of hammocks and liners.. or the entire corner of your home being taken over with absolutely nothing but Rat Stuff.. Eventually, you just stop noticing and other people are weird for pointing it out..

javakittie said:
It's sort of like 30lb bags of YN sitting next to your bed.. or the craft bins now full of hammocks and liners.. or the entire corner of your home being taken over with absolutely nothing but Rat Stuff.. Eventually, you just stop noticing and other people are weird for pointing it out..

Oh good, it's not just my home then. lol

i believe they had to change the appliance paint to something non-toxic now. there was a stink over it when a kid got sick from licking the fridge or something a while back. you could go and check. i'm not sure how well it will hold up though. likely though, having to live with the mis-match is like others have said, just a part of ratty ownership.

javakittie said:
:laugh4: So true!

Back