Oxbow...FOUND IT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsby

I just thought I would comment on Oxbow. I had been feeding my 3 boys Mazuri because it was all that I could find near me. One day I happened to walk into a pet store and I found Oxbow! I bought the last bag in stock. I had read on the forum that some rats don't like it . I mixed in the Oxbow with the Mazuri and I am very excited to find that my boys LOVE oxbow. They eat all the oxbow and bury the Mazuri pieces!

Thank you for the recommendations on food, I am happy to see my boys enjoying this new diet!
The pet store has a website, with international shipping, or they will send it to the nearest store for no charge! (on here I have read about several people who can't find it or have to order a 40 pound bag. The bag I bought is 3 pounds.) , here is the link:
http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/prod ... mit=Search

I hope this helps!

ahhhhhhhhhhh it's a type of food! The name sounds like it should be a dog chew thing. It sounds like pretty good stuff. My rats are eating Prestige Rat Nature at the mo -> http://www.zooplus.com/shop/rodents/food/rat/prestige/47730. Its the best thing i can find other than rabbit food or some dried food with tonnes of sunflower seeds and grain in, grain that they won't eat.

I did have them on a lab block diet or whatever its called but there is only a selection of two around here. One i would have to walk for 2 hours to buy it (worked when i lived closer to the place), and the other made one of my rats obese :shock:

Ryelle, seed mixes are never good and corn isn't good for the main ingredient.....

I think the best diet would be lab blocks, either Harlan Teklad 2014, 2016, or 2018 or Oxbow, with fresh fruits and veggies. Kaytee is bad....

I read that as long as it doesn't have alfalfa in it then its fine to give to rats. And i figured the dried fruit was an added bonus compared to ones that dont contain any.

Also i can only get 1 type of lab blocks in the stores and it made my rats obese

Corn has no nutritional value, so it's not good in food. Dried fruit isn't very good either because it has a ton of sugar, fresh fruits and veggies are much better. I can't get good lab blocks in stores so I buy my food online.

What i read was Alfalfa isn't so good because it's just used as a filler. They can't digest it as quickly as they can with the rest of the food or something? But reading through that article, its a lie! lol.

The sugar in the dry fruit in my Rats food is natural sugars, not anything added to them or coated in sugar like some dried fruit snacks you can buy. After owning a parakeet for 2.5 years i know what dry fruit is bad and what is good. They are more sensitive than Rats are, and i feed my rats what i'd feed my parakeet.

Personally, i don't even know what the Alfalfa in my rat's food looks like anyways. It's not like im buying Reggie Rat or Hamster food or anything.

What a lot of people are calling fillers in dog food is actually what rats need in their main diet.
Dried fruit is a favorite, but like the ones you give, with no added sugar.
I've found that a lot of bird/parrot treats are good for rats too. I've given dried papaya to my rats before, they loved it.
I wonder if the Bulk Barn only sells dried fruit with added sugar? I'll have to go take a look.

I've just dug out a massive pile of parrot and rat books and i can't find what i'm looking for - but with dry fruit look out for preservatives etc. along with the added sugar

Back