Oxbow for Youngin's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

When I first got Ivan and Buford at five weeks in April I was feeding them Rat Ration and they loved it and were growing. However a week later they are living with the SkinKids so I feed everone Oxbow. The problem is they don't seem to be growing, they're not skinny but they are not growing either.

I'm used to having my ratties on dog food (Wellness weight and senior) to have them grow out then putting them on rat food when they're at their adult size. However I have stopped feeding my rats dog food and exclusively feed rat food now, but haven't had babies since I made that switch. I have read the Owbow bag and it says it's for rats fourmonths and up.

I don't want them to stay small or being malnourished. So I was wondering what should I feed the babes, what do you guys feed and how do I stop the SKinKids from getting fat?

Thanks

I don't think the food has much to do with it, sometime rats stop growing for awhile then will grow dramatically within a month. However, people have had problems with feedin Oxbow alone, their rats seem to stop liking it so they don't eat as much as they should.

I feed Oxbow, but I aso feed Natural Balance vegetarian dog food (they only get as much as they will eat for the day since they will overeat it), Harlan lab blocks, and a homemade mix. I feed something different everyday, they don't get all these in one day!

All my wee ones are on Oxbow and HT.

All my rats no longer fill out and grow too big anymore. They remain on the smaller size but much healthier. I do have two piggies though, Jet and Jude, they love their Oxbow a little too much.

All of my guys and girls get a mix of oxbow and HT, or mazuri and oxbow.

You also have to remember that Piper herself is TEENY. by FAR my smallest rat, even for a girl... I have no idea who the father is/was, as Jo and I talked and he'd have to be an aguoti boy, which none of them were...

They did LOVE to eat, as Annabelle and Piper still do, but they're small, and 'manic', so I think that helps, :lol:

Are you going there or just emailing them? A few here have mentioned that they are not getting any response from that department after an email.

We e-mailed them a few weeks ago about HT, and someone named Michelle emailed us back and told us to call them next time rather than e-mail. That way, if the staff member responsible for the orders is off for any reason, someone can process in the order in his/her place. So we called, and our food was ready the next day!

Here is the number they gave us ---

519-824-4120 X 54309

Hope that helps!

That's good to know Froxen... in a few months I'm going to need some... I don't want to be driving 6 hours one way only to find out it's not there. I'd be a very unhappy rat momma.

I still haven't got a call from Guelph :gaah:. Any suggestions as to what I may have to do to get some Harlan?

Since it seems the regular means of contacting them don't work (I have called, e-mailed and gone there in person).

Maybe the boys weren't meant to eat Harlan. I don't really mind it's just that it's cheaper than Oxbow by a long shot.

Back