Over-eating

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundyrats

Rosie is a fat little cherub, she's about 470grams (she was 490g) but she should only weight about 350-380. She gained a lot of weight in the last 6 months when my two other girls were sick and I always had so much food on hand trying to make sure they were eating. Of course Rosie ended up eating a lot of it too. Now I have to seriously cut back, no treats and smaller amounts of fruit in the morning. She will still have her fresh veg at night plus one tablespoon of the home mix I make (brown rice, wholewheat pasta, broad beans, corn, peas, mixed beans). She used to get a whole bowl full of this. She also has lab blocks but with so much else to choose from, I've been worried that she's eating too much of that and not enough lab blocks.
So my question is, if I cut down on everything else, might she still over-eat her lab blocks or will her weight even out eventually?

It's been my experience that rats generally won't over eat blocks. Although, one or two have proven me wrong. lol
Generally speaking, definitely cut back on treats and other extras, except the veggies, don't stop the veggies.

I have two boys Edgar and eli.....both 900g. I stopped treats a long time ago. They get their blocks and I swear they love to eat them. I changed their food to a lower protein one. If they run out of food they eat more. I can watch those little tubby butts sit there and inhale food because the bowl was empty. I have found to keep them from purging food into them, to make sure that bowl is full.

i give them a lot of out time and they just still keep growing. It is unreal. These boys over eat and my my girl bindi, she just sleeps by the food bowl to save a walk some days LOL so I think some can eat more than others and over eat.

hopefloats said:
my girl bindi, she just sleeps by the food bowl to save a walk some days LOL

:laugh4:

Ok then, we'll cut back on the junk and go with the good stuff. I'll record her weight and see how we go.
Thanks for your advice.

Back