Outer ear infection and leg issue.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hi there!
I have an odd situation I haven't experienced before. BOTH my rats started to have head shakes (where they quickly shake their head) around the same time. I know this could be an indication of porphyrin in the head/sinuses, ear infection or PT. I took them to the vet and they found bacteria in one rat and bacteria and yeast in the other rat. I was prescribed oral meds just in case, but since this is outer ear infection (was able to find bacteria and yeast from ear swab) they were also put on Batril Otic drops.

The yeast ended up clearing up, but both rats still have bacteria in their ears. We can't seem to resolve it. They have been on ear drops for a total of 3 weeks now (2 weeks batril otic, 1 week Posatex).
Is there something else that can be done to clear an outer ear infection? I know middle or inner ear infections are hard to get rid of, but I thought outer ear was easier? Also, how did BOTH my rats get ear infections at the same time? Is it something I'm doing or a coincidence? I keep my rats cage clean however, they are both seniors now.

Also, suddenly out of nowhere, one of my rats started to limp. I know sprains are common in rats, but within 24 hours, my rat started to sometimes eat with one hand and seemed a tad uncomfortable and disoriented. I worried that perhaps this was a neurological issue. Or could her symptoms just be because she is in pain and overweight?Just in case this was just a symptom of discomfort, I was told to put her on Metacam.
Within 10 hours, my rat was eating again, with both hands and looked a lot more alert and interested. It's been 4 days now and she is doing great, but her limp is still there. How long does it usually take for a sprain (if this is what it is) to heal? And how do we know if a leg issue is a sprain or neurological or nerve issue?

She is NOT dragging the foot (which I know could indicate broken foot or neuro issue), she is limping and she has been on metacam for 2 days now.

I want to add one more thing. The reason I get a little scared with this one is, her sister (my friend adopted) originally had bacteria in her ears as well. Then after that, had coordination issues and then passed. They never figured out what happened, but because I have the sister of this deceased rat, I worried this was a genetic thing.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! This one has me scratching my head! Thank you!!!
-M.

Back