Our New Girls Olivia & Pearl - pics Jan 3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Yesterday we went to Barrie to pick up the Harlan from Mumsy. We got to meet all her lovely rats. She introduced us to two little dumbo girls that were so sweet. One self and one siamese. Their story is in the Canadian Rescue Section. At the time Wayne and I didn't realize that Mumsy wanted to find a forever home for them. I fell in love with them but on the way home Wayne and I were talking about them. I had wanted dumbos for a long time and they were just so sweet and wonderful. We had been at my dads all afternoon and when we got home we saw the post about Mumsy wanting to find them a home. We both agreed at that moment we would take them if she was willing to give them to us.

Today we happened to venture down to Barrie and pick them up. They are settling in very well. They are super curious and super daring. We are going to have our hands full. BUT they came out and let us pick them up. And considering they had changed homes twice in two days that's a huge thing. I am so happy.

Neela is Siamese and Shadow is Self. Tomorrow night I will take some pictures.

Two questions, one Mumsy how attached do you think they are to their names? I might want to change Neelas name but I wouldn't if she is attached to it. Also they take our fingers in their teeth but they don't bite and it certainly doesn't hurt. What is this?

I'm double posting, but I had to.

We didn't feel that Neela fit her name so we renamed her Pearl. We when I asked her if she liked her new name she bruxed AND eye boggled for me. I couldn't believe it. Shadow was also bruxing. I guess they are really happy.

I'm sure Pearl will be fine with a new name, I doubt if she came to know her old one. According to their former owner, once his kids were over their initial excitement at having a pet they basically just ignored the girls and they were kept in the basement on top of the beer fridge. I'm sure they spent several months gazing out their cage bars wondering what they did to deserve not being loved anymore.

You must be sending them some pretty good vibes to have them bruxing and boggling already! :hugs:

I'm very happy!! :bliss:

MumsyRat said:
I'm sure Pearl will be fine with a new name, I doubt if she came to know her old one. According to their former owner, once his kids were over their initial excitement at having a pet they basically just ignored the girls and they were kept in the basement on top of the beer fridge. I'm sure they spent several months gazing out their cage bars wondering what they did to deserve not being loved anymore.

OMG that just made me cry. They are so adorable, loving, sweet, I could go on forever. I don't know how people could do that. It makes me sick. Well they will only know bliss that I promise them.

I think I might change Shadows name as well. I have an idea but I want to run it by her and Wayne first.

I'm so glad you've got the girls!! First Mumsy took them from a horrible way of living and now they have a forever home!!
Rescues are sooooo special.
Yay for Pearl and Shadow!!

Sorry I'm at work and I won't be taking them out until after 4:30 then I have to go dress shopping with my maid of honour so I can't get pics until then probably after 7 or 8pm. But never fear I will get them.

LA said:
Sorry I'm at work and I won't be taking them out until after 4:30 then I have to go dress shopping with my maid of honour so I can't get pics until then probably after 7 or 8pm. But never fear I will get them.

S'ok! Congrats! But still :D pics :shock:

LA said:
Today we happened to venture down to Barrie and pick them up.
Ahhh.... just happened to land up there huh? :lol:
Congratulations to you and your new girls!

I always felt I should let a kid keep it's name if it was known as it's all they really had of their own. So I've always done that unless it was just a name the spca had given them when they came in.
But my sister told me on christmas that she'd heard that if they come from a happy background that's great, hearing the name will bring back happy memories, but if they come from an unhappy one then they should have a new name to go along with a new beginnning, so that when they hear their name it only is associated with good things. That made so much sense to me! And that's how I'm gonna see it from xmas day on.

Far as the gentle finger-gnawing I've had a couple kids that did that, they were playful but very gentle kids, with them it was a gift, an affectionate thing that meant they wanted to play, so we'd play hand-chase.

So here are the pictures. YAY. They aren't very good, Wayne decided to change their litter when I went to the dress shop so I didn't get a chance to take pics while they were out. So they are through the cage.

We have changed both names. Olivia is the Self and Pearl is the Siamese.

Olivia on top of the cube we put it (the one we got from Mumsy)
P1030291Small.jpg

P1030284Small.jpg

Pearl
P1030288Small.jpg

P1030287Small.jpg

I will get more tomorrow I hope.

Awww, Hello babies! The 3rd picture sure got me! She doesn't have a clue how lucky she is, does she? She doesn't need to, it's taken for granted you're the lucky one. :lol:

Olivia is more daring. I have been able to pick her up and hold her. She's also a monkey and likes to climb. Pearl is a little bit more reluctant. She will come out after the door has been open for a lot longer. I said to Wayne today you can see they just want to love and be loved and they just want to be able to trust us but they are still unsure. They are coming long very well. I don't know if it's the ears and the eyes but to me they are always in a state of wonder. They are so sweet.

OI OI OI..... I am now gonna have to make an enclosure because Olivia feels that she wants to explore MORE then just the bed. She actually slid down a little and jumped off the bed onto the floor. We had friends over and she scaled up one of our friends whom she had never met before. Neither of them peepeed on us once. After we put them back in the cage (sorry no pics as Olivia was being a handful) Olivia eye boggled and bruxed while Pearl bruxed. Olivia is defiantely a handful. But I don't mind at all not one bit.

Also I figured out that Pearl is the alpha female, she will slide under Olivia and demand grooming. But then will turn around and jump on Olivia to groom her. I am seeing so many things in them that I have never seen in mine. I certainly hope they can all live together because I think it will be nice for them. They will teach each other stuff.

Back