Our new babies and how we should proceed once home?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

It has been 15 years since I have had a rattie and then I was a kid. :wink2:

So I was hoping for some advice on the best way to introduce the boys to our home, us and free play.
They will be about 5 weeks old when we get to bring them home, they are brothers and from a breeder.

Do we start handling them right away or do they need time to adjust?
I know some of this may depend on their personalities too.
But just want to make sure we do not do anything that could cause problems or scare the boys.

We have a new nice size Martin's cage that is full of hammocks, toys and fleece :nod:
and an area in the dinning room that can be closed off and is rat proof and ready.

I also ordered a pocket carry pouch, so we could hold them
but they could feel safe too.

How can you resist touching them? lol
When I bring home babies, they basically live on me for the first little while. :giggle: The more the better, rats will bond strongly to you if you do keep them with you. Put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt and put them in between. Lots of petting, lots of cuddles, lots of kisses, lots of baby talk. You are going to have a ball. :rathugz:

Its far to hard to resist the baby goodness. I always cuddle kids when they get home. Sounds like you have things pretty well under control for bringing them home :D

Back