Our First Neuter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptjack526

So we have decided to start neutering some of our boys. There are three special boys that we are hoping to integrate with our girls. We just came back from Copie's neuter consultation. I am worried but I have to trust that the vet knows what she is doing. She is an exotic vet and has successfully neutered many rats, ferrets, and other small animals. She answered all my questions and explained the procedure. She even showed me the incubator where Copie will be recovering. She said the procedure lasts about 10 minutes. She will be sending Copie home with pain meds and antibiotics. Recovery should be around 10 days and advised me to wait 8 to 10 weeks before he is allowed around the girls. Surgery is scheduled for March 23rd. I am really hoping everything goes well.

Neutering is a simpler procedure than a spay, so it should go well. One major thing I learned is to use only gas anaesthetic. Rats tend to do poorly with injectable anaesthetic.
I find it odd that the vet wants you to wait that long before him joining the girls. I wait three weeks for the sperm to dissipate.

I do 4 weeks because I am always paranoid. I did earlier once and I freaked out for weeks :) It is safe from 3 weeks on to put with girls. We had 6 boys done yesterday, neuters are far easier than spays and they dont hurt as much with them. My boys forgave me, well the ones who liked me already. the other 4 well ths will help them love me :)

Well I for sure dont want babies and I'm in no rush to integrate. Will his personality/temperament change?

Sounds like an excellent vet. But the length of time to wait is overkill. My vet has always told me one week is good enough, 2 weeks if you are worried about it and 3 weeks if you are the paranoid type. lol I've always waited two weeks with mine.
Temperament will not change one bit unless you had a stressed out rats from hormones.

Here is a thread of things to discuss with your vet before surgery
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

As Joanne wrote, use only gas anaesthetic. Otherwise there is a huge risk of death during or after surgery.

Like hopefloats. I wait 4 weeks because I am paranoid and would rather err on the side of caution.

I have noticed that boys become calmer and stop being aggressive toward other rats. They also no longer have that male odor or buck grease. Otherwise mine have been the same.

Up until last month we only had boys and only had 2 problems. Clark was allergic to the stitches and that turned into a big mess, but he's fine now. Snickers had a bad reaction to the buenorphine they used during surgery and he was never quite right after that. We never let them use buenorphine in surgery anymore and most people on this forum will advise you not to use it at all, but I have found that an inject after the surgery works really well for pain management. Make sure you get enough metacam for at least 5 days. If you have their weights I'm sure someone can tell you the doses now so you make sure they give you enough - vets have a tendency to under dose. I keep my boys in a hospital cage for about 2 days before going back with their friends. I also do not use litter in the hospital cage or in the cage until they heal so it doesn't stick, but that is a personal choice.

Good luck boys!

Back