Our Daisy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodentsrus

Hi all,
I like to introduce our new 6 months old baby girl. We adopted her Sunday and when we went to see her we knew that the talking the lady was saying Daisy was doing was not "talking" BUT the sign of a URI. So on Tuesday we brought her to the vet and they said she had a URI and an ear-infection as she has a slight head tilt..So now she is on 3 meds poor little girl..She love my bf but not me at the moment as I give the yucky meds. When in her house she sleeps on the homemade hammock I made. When out of her house she loves sleeping on my b/f shoulder under his shirt..

Daisy (1).jpg

IMG_5739.jpg

Hi all Daisy seems to be the same but she has only been on meds since tuesday but im concerned with the head ..Has anyone had this were their little rattie?? I think i may ask the vet if there is a antibiotic drop for the ear..We have grown so attached to her ...right now she is climbing around my shoulder as I write this :)

Hopefully you will start seeing some improvements today.
What 3 meds is she on?
If it's an inner ear infection, systemic antibiotics will be of more use than drops. Drops are more used when it's an outer infection, which are less serious.
Head tilts from ear infections can last a very long time, and some rats will have a permanent tilt if the infection was bad enough

One of my guys had a huge tilt around 7-8 weeks. He is just over one now and has out grown it for the most part. Although we were never really sure if it was an ear infection or an injury. Due to his age we treated to Bactrim and them Cloropham (I think)

As Velo said, what 3 meds is she on?

Also what does she weigh?
What is the strength of each med (mg/ml)? and what is the dose she is being given? how often?

An anti-inflammatory (like prednisone or pain med metacam) would reduce the likelihood of long term damage

Last edited:
Congrats on your baby Daisy - she's a doll :love7:.

Hoping she has a speedy recovery. She is blessed to have such a great mommy.

Without her weight we can't double check her doses to make sure they are correct (we will when you get a chance to weigh her), but she may likely need to be on the antibiotics longer.
At this point, she is dealing with a previously untreated and now advanced URI and inner ear infection, so 6 weeks of antibiotics will likely be needed to get her 100% again. ^_^

Wow she is a small lady!
I think she must be younger than six months or she is severely malnourished. ):
The doxy and baytril check out.
I'm not well versed on metacam dosing, it can range vastly depending on the use. Someone else can likely check it.
Hopefully you see some visible improvements soon!

I rescued a tilty girl from the pet shop, she hadn't been looked after and had not received any meds. I put her on antibiotics straight away but I think the infection was long gone and she was left with a permanent head tilt. She still got around though just fine and lived a long happy life. I just wish she had been treated at the time of infection.

Do you think she might be pregnant? There's no real need to weigh everyday unless you think she is pregnant. You will see small weight fluctuations like humans, up and down and they can vary from one time of the day to another.
What's her diet like currently?

Last edited:
No she is not pregnant..we just been monitoring her weight..as for her diet she is on Living World Extrusions and she likes them .She eats about 2-3 blocks a day..we slowly eleimanted her seed diet. She also gets some milk bones for her teeth and loves cantaloupe and occasional peanut.

If you want to monitor her weight I would stick to once a week or if you want to do it daily, aim to do it at the same time. I weigh mine roughly once a month, but also watch to see if they look chunky / thin.
Try giving her some fresh veggies everyday too, about 1/4 cup. You can also give fruit but do a small amount of low sugar choices, like a blueberry and a grape.
Peas, corn, dark leafy greens, green beans, carrots, some tomato, brocolli, cauliflower, few cooked beans, some avocado.... many veggies are rat friendly. Look up rat forbidden foods on Google and that should show you what you can't feed as far as fresh goes. :)

The peanuts are roasted right? Raw is a no go for those.
I also recommend dropping the milk bones and using a more grain based treat, such as Crispix, Cheerios, other whole grain cereals or noodles (cooked or dry).

Hey hey!!! Back into rats I see! I knew you would end up caving and decide to ignore your allergies! :giggle:

BF must be happy - I know he sort of wanted to get back into rats!

Daisy is such a beauty. I am worried about her weight though... maybe you can try feeding her baby cereal and ensure for a little while, to help her gain a little? Usually, that's a more than welcome treat! :D

Hey hey!!! Back into rats I see! I knew you would end up caving and decide to ignore your allergies! :giggle:

BF must be happy - I know he sort of wanted to get back into rats!

Yeah I put something around my neck so she doesn't go on it. If I forget that's when the hives appear.

Daisy is such a beauty. I am worried about her weight though... maybe you can try feeding her baby cereal and ensure for a little while, to help her gain a little? Usually, that's a more than welcome treat! :D

We are not for sure on her age. How much should she weigh? We only had older boys.

Back