Our Boots is not well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its either prednisone/prednilosone or dexamethasone. They are both steroids. I would definitely add another ab besides baytril to the mix if she is worsening...

I am sorry. :(

Beg your vet for pred or dex... tell him there's a vet in Sudbury treating pituitary tumour symptoms with some success, although not a cure but it does help reduce the swelling and gives more quality to their life.

Also, for some PTs, pred or dex won't have any effect especially if it's a bleeding adenoma.

The problem is that both Prednisone and Dexamethasone have to be given daily. Even if she does improve, someone has to be able to give her the steroids during the weekend.

There are some things that are making me think it's not a PT. Baytril would have absolutely no effect on a PT, but you said she seemed to be holding steady, if not actually getting a titch better, since you started the Baytril. Adding in another antibiotic with the Baytril, along with the steroid will treat both at the same time. If it is just an inner ear infection, the steroid will help. If it's PT, then it will make her more comfortable.

Well Boots and I have been to the vets. He going to order some fruit-flavoured predisone. Boots is turning in circle clock-wise. She has developed a lump under her right front leg. The vet said that he would have to do a MRI to be 100 % sure what it is causing the symptons she has. It is either ear infection or tumor at the stem of the brain. We will continue to administer the baytril and when the predison comes in (hopefully tomorrow) we will give her it too.
We have someone who has looked after the girls before coming in for the weekend to administer the meds and feed her. I am hoping that she will soon be eating on her own again. The vet weighed her and she was actually a little heavier than last time. That kind of made me free a little relieved.

Ann

For a future reference sort of thing, I get Prednisone tablets from my vet, and she just has me crush them up and make a solution. My rats have never refused it, straight or mixed in with a bit of something. I don't think it has much of a taste, actually. Plus, with flavoring mixed in, the concentration is thinned out some, which means you have to get more into them. With some rats, especially those refusing food, that can make all the difference.

wHAT DO YOU THINK IS A REASONABLE TIME FOR A MED TO START TO WORK. WHEN SHOULD WE SEE SOME IMPROVEMENT WITH BOOTS IF THE MEDS ARE GOING TO WORK. I AM HOPING THAT SHE CAN START TO EAT A LITTLE ON HER OWN BEFORE THE WEEKEND . IS THIS ASKING TOO MUCH.

ANN

I am going to make an appt. with Dr. O'Connor for the end of next week.If she isn't eating and walking better by then then a decision will have to be made. I certainly don't think she is living right now and I don't like to see them this way. I hope I don't sound harsh. I love her dearly :(

Ann

Pituitary tumours are horrible and they do reach a stage where quality of life is nil. Putting to sleep when there's no chance of recovery is the best thing for them.

Well we finally got Boots liquid predisone. She is prescribed .375mls twice a day. The vet had said that he would start her off with twice a day but maybe she could go to once a day later on. I will have to contact him and see maybe when that should be done. My husband picked it up today and gave her her first dose at lunch. I will see what he says when he gets home.

Ann

Umm.. .375mls? That a typo?

Also, did your vet say why twice a day? All the information I have on prednisone says it shouldn't be given more than once a day.

I'm so sorry you have to go away while Boots is so precarious.
It does sound just like when my Dona had a PT. First she was listless, 2 days later at the vet she was head-bumping but the vet didn't pick up on it or diagnose her. Next day she was running counter-clockwise circles and walking off things, and she had trouble both holding food and seemed like she forgot how to chew. Next day restless and falling over when she tried to run and had trouble even drinking from dish.
Dona's was a little more rapid, and she didn't have prednisone, so it's hard to say how fast things will progress, especially with the benefit of prednisone. But another of my girls had prednisone and she went from being unable to eat to just fine for 9 days til she passed away..

I hope it's not a PT and Boots can be healed.

yes javakittie that is a typing error. It should be .35ml. I will call the vet tomorrow and ask about the dosages. It does state on the bottle twice a day but I know that he stated that was only short term. I will find out how short term. I will also ask the girls what her weight was. I know he wrote it down. Something tells me .365.

Ann

For my own curiosity, would you mind telling me the concentration of your prednisone? It should say somewhere on the bottle so many mg per ml.

I remember reading 1mg/ml on the bottom. Does that help. I am not a pharamist or a real real real experienced rat owner. I am at work so I will look tonight when I get home. Just for the heck of it I went to another forum I belong to and did a search about the two dosages a day of predisone for PT. I found one that was .5ml twice a day.

Ann

Back