Our Boots is not well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dosage seems about right to me, from my experience with calculating them out. Looking at RatGuide it says anywhere from .25ml to 1ml, so even at .70ml a day [two doses] she'd still be within the range they suggest.

I also looked up the twice daily dosage on Google. I see that it is more common than I thought, though not the norm. Learn something new every day! :wink:

On my bottle of prednisolone, it says once or twice daily.

Good to hear that it's fairly common enough. Besides, it sounds like Boots is pretty advanced so the high dose will be needed, I'm sure.

Thanks gals. I must admit drug dosages I find frustrating to figure out in rats as well as humans. It is a good thing my husband and I don't have anything drugs to take regularly because we have a hard time remembering the rats and the dogs meds. :roll:
I will continue the meds for Boots. Hopefully it will buy a little time for her.

Ann

I have done a little reading of past posting concerning teeth of a rat. My husband thinks that Boots are too long but I have read that what is too long. She isn't chewing right now because of the PT so i am not sure that long teeth is the problem. Any suggestions.

Ann

Sometimes I look at my rat's teeth and Icould swear I think it's too long but they are ok.
If she's bruxxing, then she's most likely keeping it down.

Boots is looking better now. She is not walking in circles and can eat some pablum,banana, cherrios and ensure on her own. She puts nutri-blocks in her mouth but doesn't chew them. My husband says one of her bottom teeth is a bit shorter than the other. Could I trim the other one to the same size or leave it.

Ann

I would think at this point you should leave it if she's most likely terminal.... It sounds like she's eating good as you could expect with a PT, and there are sometimes risks to cutting teeth.
I'm so glad that she is able to do for herself better now and enjoy you and her days! Just spoil her rotten!

Ann, it's great news that she can eat on her own.
If you think you can trim the tooth without stressing her out, I'd advise it. If one is getting too long, it could eventually cut into her upper lip.

Thanks gals. Every day is encouraging but we try not to get to excited because we know some day.... She was back up in the hammock with the rest of the girls. I guess the igloo was not comfee enough. :D

Ann

She is doing okay. We are giving her .35ml of predisone once a day now. She is eating pablum and soggy nutri-blocks and ensure. Her bottom teeth are doing okay but see seems to still be having a hard time chewing.

Ann

Back