Ouch! My first bite

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyR

I had the big boys out playing, and they were all having a marvelous time. The usual here and there scuffles were going on, but nothing major. As it turns out, at least on neutral ground, Larry is far more a submissive than an aggressive rat, but then he and Cyril decided to square off. It started as Larry on his hind legs, mouth open, squeaking a series of squeaks, and half the other guys ran over to look on. I was keeping a close eye on things. Cyril and Larry did a little pushing and shoving and boxing, and then it turned into screeching ball of rat. Split-second decision...stuck my hand in between them and pushed top rat (Cyril) off bottom rat (Larry). Larry took off. Cyril turned around and sunk his teeth into my index finger, right at the first knuckle joint! As soon as I pried his teeth out of my finger, he kind of looked like, "oh, mom, didn't realize that was you." Holy crap-a-freaking-moly that hurts!!!!!!!! And wow, did it ever bleed! I had my hand in a fist trying to stop the bleeding with blood running out between my fingers, while trying to gather rats and stick them back into their cages left handed.

My finger is swollen and pretty painful. Got it cleaned up just fine, and have a band-aid on it. Haven't been able to locate my tube of neosporin just yet. If I can't find it, I'll get some from work tomorrow night.

He didn't get the joint itself, just got me right where my finger bends, on the fleshy side. The couple of percocet I took a couple of hours ago did wonders for the pain for the moment, and I was able to express some of the under the skin bleeding from the tip of my finger, which also helped the pain tremendously, as well as the swelling. Also, keeping it elevated for awhile.

Aw Kristy, hope you are feeling better.

The local pet store had a male rat that got out and was being chased by the store cat. The young girl who works there picked up the rat and he bit her and actually cracked the bone.

Defiantely not something to mess with. But I know in a quick decision I think I would put my hand in.

Yanglicious said:
Awwhs.
Take care alright.
ext time use a water sprayer or something?
Never use your hand in a scuffle :?

You have to be very careful with spray bottles as the water can get into the nose and cause URI :(

A towel or blanket is the best thing to use to seperate as it confuses the rat and you can grab him with something between you and those teeth.

I'm glad you got the pressure released in your finger, Kristy! I bet that feels infinitely better!

Willow Bean said:
A towel or blanket is the best thing to use to seperate as it confuses the rat and you can grab him with something between you and those teeth.

I'm glad you got the pressure released in your finger, Kristy! I bet that feels infinitely better!

And of course, I knew that, it just happened so fast that I didn't think, especially since I've never been bitten before. Next time, for sure there will be something between my fingers and those teeth!

Yeah, getting the pressure of the under the skin bleeding has made all the difference in the world. Now it's just sore, like I had cute my finger on a knife or something. And there's no swelling anymore. It looks a whole lot worse than it feels at this point, and that's just fine with me!

Back