OTTAWA SDA outbreak

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandyzuba

We bought two babies from the Pet World in Bayshore Mall. They turned out to be sick and mostly with SDA Virus. We have memebers of our colony showing signs of having SDA and will be taking them to the vet tomorrow.

:pills: Oh no, I've read about that on here and I think some have had it go through their colonies. Not a good thing! Hope your ratties will be alright!

Lilspaz68 has experienced SDA so you might want to contact her immediately for info and suggestions.
Your rats will need to be immediately treated aggressively with antibiotics and need supportive care.

Please contact Lilspaz68 for info for both you and info you can share with your doctor.

Just so you and others reading this post are aware ....
Feeder breeders and pet sores are sources of SDA and other frequently terminal airborne rat diseases ...
Although some of us involved in rescuing take calculated risks, it is important to do a full 6 to 8 week quarantine of new rats in a separate airspace, which means in a separate building and using quarantine procedures such as showering, changing your clothes, cleaning germs out of your nose, etc after being with new rats

Good rescues are a relatively safe source of new rats because they should have been quarantined, vet checked, etc

good luck

Last edited:
Your poor babies! I hope everyone stays strong. This must be stressful for you. We will all vw thinking of you and your babies and sending healing vibes that you get through this as easily as possible.

Oh man im so sorry. I almost got babes from there a few weeks ago too (they're always so damn cute) I hope everything turns out okay :( :(

Oh man im so sorry. I almost got babes from there a few weeks ago too (they're always so damn cute) I hope everything turns out okay :( :(

You realize you cannot even go in the store now? You can bring the virus home on the bottom of your shoe, or in your nasal cavities :( IF you go in then you need to go home and carefully run for the shower, put your used clothes in a bag to wash later, take a hot shower, blow your nose and then you can see your babies.

I did a sticky on my experience you can read if you want.

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26844

You realize you cannot even go in the store now? You can bring the virus home on the bottom of your shoe, or in your nasal cavities :( IF you go in then you need to go home and carefully run for the shower, put your used clothes in a bag to wash later, take a hot shower, blow your nose and then you can see your babies.

Of course. I went in there last a few weeks before I got my bbys and don't see the need to return now. Its not the best store anway and as soon as I read the thread I knew I wouldnt be going back.

This is terrible. I've heard terrible, terrible things about that store. I would never in my life support the way they get their rats. Their rats are from rodent mills and who knows what kind of conditions they're kept in.
I'm from Ottawa too. I got my first ratties at petsmart (which is a LITTLE better than Pet World) until I heard about Ottawa Pet Rat Rescue. There are already so many ratties out there needing good homes. I would suggest to adopt from there from now on. We can't continue to support these breeders. What they're doing and how they're doing it is immoral and just plain wrong.
I wish I knew how to do more.

I'm sorry to hear about your babies and thank you for warning us.

Back