Ottawa Pet Rat Rescue Journal

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just over 2 weeks ago, OPRats was contacted by a girl who was desperately in need of help. She had purchased two baby girl rats from a pet store and woke up in the morning to find 12. Turns out one of the baby girl rats was pregnant and had given birth overnight.

The owner had no space, and no funds and no time to take care of 12 rats. Unable to afford rat food or any sort of extra food to supplement the mother (who herself was only about 2 months old), she was feeding the mother dog food, because it's all she had. OPRats convinced her to surrender all the rats, including the non-pregnant female whom she initially insisted on keeping. The non-pregnant female is already being introduced to a friend. The incredibly tiny momma who weighs just under 250 grams is skinny and sneezing, but she is doing an amazing job weaning her babies.

We hope that with a protein and fat-rich diet, both the mother and babies will make it safely thru weaning, at which point, all the babies will be up for adoption.

And in the meantime, we're all melting at the sight of these precious wee little ones. Two weeks old, and they already have a little fur coming in. Three of them could easily fit in the palm of my hand at the same time. It's so so lovely to see babies grow from such a young age.

Here's the first good group shot we have to share... I hope to have more as they grow!

DcFUn6W.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Wee cutiepies.... :thud: wait til you see a pic of them awake, their little curious peepers, dark and beautiful!

Okay.. so.. while OPRats cares for the babies, I'm fostering a few of the other ratties.. and .. OMG .. I can't believe no one has adopted these awesome boys yet! I have to share some of the fun I'm having with these boys.

Three boys. All of them get along great together. All healthy, very active and intelligent. They love the hammock. Sweet site I saw when I got home:
dB2rxLE.jpg

Silverman is for sure the smartest. Two of the last three nights I put out a casserole dish with water in it, and a bunch of peas. Silverman went fishing for peas and caught almost all of them. Tonight I put out a tiny dish of water, just for drinking. And Silverman kept pawing it looking for peas! He remembered! Smart boy.

Here's Silverman (the silver colored boy) with Roger:
ZWoKzka.jpg

Then there's Goldman (the gold colored boy). He's the alpha rat. He loves to rough and tumble with Silverman. He's very people friendly too. I knew out time was over tonight when I saw him pancake and brux.
zjuOjyD.jpg

And the youngest boy, Roger. He is so full of energy! He hops like a bunny when he's out, and he loves climbing thru all my cloths. He's a real sweetie, and is very easy going with the other boys.
4jMDtCF.jpg

And here are a few more photos of fun at out time tonight:

Silverman on top of the chair:
RXdLHsv.jpg

Goldman and Roger having a private chat:
GCDr7id.jpg

The Three Amigos:
ogpvCko.jpg

Silverman gets a grooming:
Ur3cbYE.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Awwwww, ChrisK, so lovely to see! These boys are gorgeous, and I see why you came up with the names Silverman and Goldman! LOL!
I sure hope they find forever homes, but boy oh boy, while they wait, they've got it made. :hugs:
Thanks for the wonderful update, I'm happy to see them having a wonderful time with you! :heart: :heart:

Just about every night, as the end of their out time nears, Goldman finds himself this perfect spot to pancake, brux and boggle. He's a happy, happy boy :)

In my final hours with the Three Amigos. Goldman, Silverman, and Roger. They'll be moving to a different foster home this afternoon. I sure hope they get adopted soon. They are such amazing boys!

I always hate this part of fostering ... when it's time to say goodbye. Three weeks together wasn't so long, but it's been enough to connect and get attached. Okay, for me it takes about 2 seconds to get attached :nod: Anyway, I know that they have been better off, by far, since they've been at OPRats than they were before they were rescued. So even though they're moved around some now and then, it's still a good life in all foster locations.

It's been an honor and a privilege to know Roger, Silverman, and Goldman. I'm savoring the moments now as they sleep in the cage nearby, and I'm wishing them well this afternoon as I bring them to their new foster home, where there will be more ratties to meet and play with. God Speed, young men!

I'm so glad they could spend some time in a loving home with you, ChrisK! :heart: I hope too that they find a wonderful forever home soon. :hugs:

Life at the rescue has been super busy. Surrenders, adoptions, and sadly a few losses. This weekend, RKbusy has been able to arrange transport to Montreal for a girlie rat named Kai whose uterus prolapsed. Poor girl needs a spay within a few days now or she will die, but there is only one vet we know of in Ottawa who spays, and aside from his excruciatingly high fees, his track record is questionable.

Thankfully an angel has stepped up to drive Kai to a vet in Montreal whom we all trust. She is leaving for Montreal today. Please join me in sending best wishes for a safe journey to the driver, and healing thoughts for Kai for a successful surgery and recovery.

Thanks for the update, ChrisK! Best of luck, sweet Kai! You're in good hands! :heart: :heart:
I think the surgery is on Wednesday. RKBusy's little girl May is also getting spayed, wish her well!

I'm sorry to report that Kai has passed. When the vet began surgery, he found that her uterus had prolapsed due to a tumor, and so he did the spay and removed the tumor. But he had to rush to close up because she was loosing a lot of blood. At first she seemed to be recovering okay, but then suddenly passed on. Poor kai had at least one more tumor, and she had previously had others removed as well. I guess her body could only handle so much.. She will be remembered for the gentle spirit she was..

Back