Ottawa Pet Rat Rescue Journal

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, hubby's got his book club over tonight, and I thought it best to move Ninja into an out of the way room for the few hours. Then, realizing Ninja will be going back to OPRats in just a few days, I thought to spend the evening with him. So here we are, listening to a Shaina Noll CD, and he curled up, bruxing, and then snoozing peacefully. What a sweetie.

Monday he goes back to OPRats, and I am very excited for him, because intros will follow. There's nothing I'd love more for him than to have some rattie friends (AND a happy home too of course!).

This photo is from yesterday.. can't find my camera tonight..

It looks like he's not quite sure what the heck you were doing. LOL
Savour every moment you have with him!
At least you know he is going to a good home. That always helps...a little...

A little diversion today from my happy happy stories about Ninja.. that little love bug :)

This morning we laid to rest three OPRats boys who passed during this year. Skeemo, a beautiful boy whom we hardly got to know, as he died due to neuter surgery gone awry, Louie, a sweet rescue boy who lived a long life at OPRats, and Franklin... a soul who filled the room with his warmth and welcome. RIP boys.

I'm not a church goer anymore these days, and I hope no one will find this offensive, but a song came to me for their funeral, which just seemed right. So we sang it before covering their bodies with earth. Here are a few snippets.

blessed are they the poor in spirit
theirs is the kindgom of god

blessed are they the lowly ones
they shall inherit the earth

blessed are they the pure of heart
they shall see God

blessed are they who suffer in faith
the glory of God is theirs

blessed are you who suffer hate
all because of me
rejoice and be glad
yours is the kindgom
shine for all to see

Blessed are Skemo, Louie, and Franklin
Now buried near Lollipop and Skittles, who are buried near Mousse and Trust.

How my life has been blessed by many wonderful creatures!

Brought Ninja and Roger to the vet this morning for the snip snip.. It was good to see them both again! And Ninja was his happy, energetic self.. Please send them well wishes for successful surgery and recovery from surgery. I'll be happy/relieved to see them tonight at pick up.

Yes, I'm happy to say they both made it thru surgery successfully! Phew!
They're a bit wobbly, but energetic, and I'm thinking... happy to be back home!
Thanks for your well wish!

Well.. I've come to accept that I'm just not very good at journaling the goings on at OPRats these days.. partly because there's just so much happening there! The rescue continues to thrive, and because of the wonderful work Anita and Rachel are doing, many many ratties have their first real hope of a good life.

So.. please don't assume nothing's up if you're not seeing new posts on this thread :)

I will just share a word or two about Buddy today. I asked to foster Buddy.. he's the boy I've written about who got tossed home to home because he's a bitter. He was rescued by OPRats, and then neutered. I've had him for about three weeks now, since his neuter.

I used to call him Buddy the Biter. But he's become a soft, sweet boy since his hormones have calmed down. He is still frightened, but he is much improved and does not bite anymore. He will be returning to the rescue on Wednesday where he will be introduced to a lone female rattie.. I will be very very glad to see him with a rattie friend. I think it will make him a very happy boy :)

Just catching up on where I left things.. Buddy has long since become part of a colony and is a very happy boy. It does my heart good to see him whenever I stop by the rescue :)

In the meantime, I'm picking up a colony of four boys tonight to foster just until end November. These boys are nicknamed "the puppies" because they come running to the cage doors to say hello at the first sign of humans in the room. They're just adorable!

Please note if anyone is looking to adopt babies, OPRats just rescued 29 babies this past weekend, and there are many that are or soon will be available for adoption.

So much going on at the rescue these days.. I couldn't possibly post it all.. but to my good fortune, I am fostering for only a few days, one girl rattie recovering from tumor removal surgery, and her rattie girl friend. They are afraid of people, but they are very close to each other. The friend is taking good care of the girl recovering. And lucky me, this may be the first time ever that a rattie has taken her meds directly from the syringe for me! yaaaaayy!!

Their quiet, gentle manner and love for each other are a real inspiration to me. They just make my day :)

So, aside from watching over them, etc. I've been feeding them little bits of watermelon, banana, and just prepared some veges. Spoiling them just a little during their transition. :)

Back