Osiris rescued June 1 2018

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Osiris was advertised on Kijiji in Sackville, NS as a biter who attacked and bit his owner and his rattie friend.
He was purchased from a pet store in February, and recently became aggressive. The woman who owned him was feeding both boys cat food as she did not have much money :(

The Kijiji ad:
"No there are no rescues that will take him. Stop messaging me just to try to guilt me into anything other than what this ad is for. This rat clearly has brain deficiencies, hates everyone and is biting people. Giving him up as snake food is the best way to make his death have meaning. SO screw off

I got this rat for my rat Skaara but after a few months he turned aggressive and started attacking Skaara and now he's attacking me. He's gunna have to be put down anyways so he might as well go as a feeder for a snake. He did have some respiratory issues but I've been told it won't affect snakes, but adding this info just in case. My guess is he is about 4-6 months old. I've had him since Feb. He's not quite full size but he's big. I'm not sure how the snake feed sizes go."

bbbbbb .jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to a woman on a local vegan site who said her boyfriend would help, Osiris was saved. Her boyfriend was traveling to Halifax NS for a week and returning. He picked up Osiris and took wonderful care of him for a week. Even letting this vicious biter out of the travel cage, holding him, and petting him.

June 2 2018 new little boy.jpg

June 3 2018 little boy in cage.png

June 3 2018 Osiris wants out.jpg

June 3 2018 Osiris exploring.jpg

June 3 2018 Osiris getting something to eat.jpg

June 3 2018 Osiris trucking along.jpg

Last edited:
Osiris arrived in NB on Friday June 8 evening.
He is a happy, curious, active little boy who was eager to explore his new cage despite his very long drive from Halifax NS and his third home in a week.
Osiris knows his name so he will be keeping it.
Osiris is in quarantine at a foster home in case of illness before he is introed to other rats.
He had scabs on his neck so I treated him with revolution in case of mites.
...... btw, he loves broccoli and was quite busy hiding it in his boat hammock

Here are a few pictures I took of Osiris after setting up his new home

June 08 2018 Osiris in his new cage.jpg

June 08 2018 Osiris peeking out of hammock.jpg

June 08 2018 Osiris looking out.jpg

June 08 2018 Osiris in the boat hammock.jpg

June 08 2018 Osiris jumping down.jpg

Last edited:
If a good home becomes available with other rats, he may be available for adoption, otherwise he will be staying.
I will be getting him neutered later this month

Very lucky little man! Any which way he's guaranteed a good life now... I wish neutering was a more affordable option for more of us everywhere:(

Last edited:
Update from Sat June 9. I was sent an update from his foster.
Quote: Osiris is doing really well. He's loving the boat hammock, he's moved all his snacks in there. He hasn't eaten much of them, but I think he's still unsure what they're about, he likely wasn't given any before. He's interested in us and he'll sniff our hands but he doesn't solicit any real attention. He's super comfortable in the cage though, just as he was last night! He doesn't seem stressed at all.

Here is a picture of Osiris sleeping on top of the boat hammock.

June 9 2018 Osiris sleeping on the hammock.jpg

Jorats please let Nicole know that another little rescued rattie is in love with his hammock

Update: the foster decided that she does not want to apply to adopt Osiris.
He is not interested in coming out of his cage, squeeks when touched, and will sniff at people's fingers but otherwise is not very interested in people.
I think he is doing pretty good given everything he has been through

What a ferocious, dangerous boy! He looks so fearsome! RAWR! :D

What a lovely wee boy. If you were closer, I'd bring him up with my husband. We're not going to ask you to rat-train the little guy from NB to ON, though. Here's hoping he finds a forever home soon.

I was able to visit Osiris this evening.
He is definitely not a biter!
Osiris is such a sweet active friendly brave and curious little boy
He had fun out exploring the room, he climbed on me and licked my hand a couple of times.

We know that sweet boy will always have a well-deserved loving home now that he's been in your hands..

Last edited:
Osiris' friend was a hairless rattie and they are easily scratched. And cut skin bleeds a great deal and can look very bad. I think that the two boys were likely playing and that the other rattie was accidently scratched.

Osiris went along on a 3 day trip to Nova Scotia to be neutered in June.
He went along with 9 rescue girls who were getting spayed, a couple of my rats who were on meds, and godmother's high needs boy Rhys - because she went on vacation to Europe instead of making other arrangements for him and picking him up as promised, thus my 9 rescue boys who were scheduled to be neutered had to be left behind :(

Osiris loves playing with the 9 spayed girls although he gets a bit too excited, and still being gradually introed to the 9 unneutered boys - unfortunately the intro with Osiris and their 9 sisters is not going well because the 9 boys were not neutered

Last edited:
Heartwarming. I didn't comment before, but I saw this on a day when I was down and it cheered me up.

I think there's very few cases where a trouble animal isn't just an issue of miscommunication between owner and animal. I'm glad he's doing better.

Osiris was never the aggressive biter I was promised, LOL
I have found that so-called biters, usually aren't …… unless they are mamas protecting their babies
However, he does need to learn better social skills when interacting with other rats

Sometimes it is the situation they are in, illness, or the person misinterpreting normal rat behaviour like taste testing for biting.
I like working with biters but have only rescued a very few rats that would actually bite people (unless it was an accident)

Back