Oscar Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlover

Hi again guys,

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I have Oscar booked in for a Neuter for tomorrow morning... Poor guy.
I was wondering if i need to give him some recovery time before i reintroduce him to his pack or would he be ok to put in straight away.
He has had regular contact with fidget but he hasnt seen Alfie for a few days now.. Alfie is the one Oscar has the issues with.

Yvonne & Barry xx

I have never separated any of my boys after a neuter, if they were already living with cagemates, and I never had a problem.

Oscar was seperated from Alfie with an aggression issue (Drawing Blood and nasty scratches) but has remained having playtimes with Fidget...But Oscar would even go for Alfie through the cage bars so we had to cut down the room so he had no access to Alfie... We are hoping to give Oscar some recovery time before doing slow intros to Alfie again...We have heard that it can take quite a while for Hormone levels to come down..So we will be taking this slow and easy...We hope the Boys will settle down becouse in a few weeks we will be introducing our new boys Peanut and Fudge.

Yvonne & Barry

He really doesn't need any recovery time. I do give mine 24 hours alone but only because they live with a big group of rats.
His behaviour can take anywhere from 1 week to 3 months to change. But with all of mine, it never took longer than 3 weeks.

Oscar is recovering very well from his operation and seems to be doing fine. He is eating and drinking well so all we can do is keep an eye on things but the strangest thing happened later this evening with the other two boys.
The pet carrier was on the floor beside their cage which had oscars scent in from the vets... There reaction was weird.!
Alfie wandered in the carrier had a good sniff then ran in the house looking scared and Fidget who is always very active and playful sniffed the carrier and hid behind the cage very subdued so we figured they may be upset thinking oscar was poorly or maybe they could smell the anesthetic which could of freaked them out..either way, they are very spooked and wont come out to eat and play.
Ive never seen either of the boys react this way to anything, especially Fidget who never stands still for a minute.
What do you think it could be thats making them react this way and has anyone else had any similar experiences.
We took Fidget up to see Oscar to reassure him he was ok but he didnt even sniff oscar he was just trying to find somewhere to hide.... Weird. !

Yvonne & Barry

It could be the smell from the vet's place but it could also be Oscar. If Oscar's a bully, those boys aren't going to like him too much.

Spooked!!!....thats an understatement Alfie and Fidget never moved all night. not for treats, playtime or any form of encouragement whatsoever even when tempted with their favourites. They were subdued in the extreme....I dont think it was anything to do with an anasthetics smell but maybe a scent off Oscar...Do rats spray like cats what they have left after being neutered...or could it possibly be that some dried blood from Oscars Op has been left within the carrycage and has the boys reacted to this?.....The boys are still cuddled together in their house and dont seem to have moved for the treats i left them last night....I know that in time they will get over this but it seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back at the moment.... :? ..will keep you all posted about developments

Yvonne & Barry

the pet carrier was moved lastnight straight after the boys freaked out. the floor where it stood has now been disinfected and the pet carrier has been cleaned out completely but it doesnt seem to make much difference.
Since they sniffed it they haven't eaten, played or even come out of their house... they just dont seem to have any get up and go at the moment and we are missing there cheery faces so much. :cry: :cry:
I know it may seem like we are overreacting but if you recognised the mannerisms of my boys you would see just how dramatic the change is since lastnight.. We are totally gobsmacked.
On a side note. Oscar is doing good and seemed to have a comfortable night.
:)
Yvonne

Is Oscar close to their cage?

I know what you mean about their reaction being drastic. This happens sometimes but they will come out of it, just give them time. Continue to coax them out and continue to interact with them.

Oscar is in our bedroom so he's nowhere near the big boys cage.
I was planning on allowing Fidget to interract with Oscar tonight after the break lastnight but im a little worried it will unsettle him further so i think i will give him another night apart.
I'm comforted to know that this has happened for someone else too and that they recover from it but its just heart Wrenching to see them so withdrawn.
My main concerns was that somehow it would make them withdraw completely and change their personalities.
Thank you for replying

Yvonne

Sometimes we just don't know what triggers our rats. Just a few days ago, almost all my rats refused to come out during out time. Something scared them but I didn't know what? It took two days before I could convince them that nothing was different with their out time area. They are back to normal now.

BTW Jo,

On your signature it says owned by 24 rats....
Have i missed a thread where you have aquired another 7 rats because im sure the last time i noticed it was 17... lol

Yvonne :)

The last time it was 18. Then I took a little trip to Toronto and came back with 12 rats. I was keeping 4, Nic is taking 5 and mamarat was taking 3. Then we get home and find out there is a dad and litter at our OSPCA. So mamarat took dad and two babies, Nic is taking 3 baby girls and I'm taking 2 baby girls. So that throws my 18 up to 24. :shock:
In my litter pics, all the black and white babies are from Prue, the other coloured ones are from the SPCA. Their mom was put to sleep because she had mastitis. The young girls took to Prue like she was their mom. It was so sweet.

Back