Oscar...Maybe Transient Ischemic Attacks?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlover

Oscar our Black Hooded shy boy (27 months old) is having major problems :(
We noticed a week ago that he had lost the ability to use his back feet
but was eating well and would shuffle around his safe areas. I made the bottom of
the cage comfortable for him and attatched a bottle to his hut and aranged the space around him for ease
He would have his out time the same as his cage mates and would have a couple of hours
in the hammocks sleeping with the others...
But this morning when i checked on his water level he was layed half way out of his hut
when i went to give him a treat he never took much notice. I called over Yvonne to check on him
while she checked him he had a Fit (head and body jerking uncontrolably) for about 30 seconds(Maybe TIA?)
I placed him in the play tent which is cushioned and he lays there immobile not taking treats greens or anything
he seems unaware untill i stroke him then he jerks to move away...
We have a Vets appointment at 6pm so will update you then.

It seems we may loose him and it soo painfull after Peanut passing over the bridge just last week :(

In his better days :)
Oscar.jpg

I've had a few of mine with hind end degeneration do the seizure/jerking contortion as well... it's almost like something pinching the spine for a few seconds and they the go back to normal. I had a rat live this way for a few months, he didn't seem in pain or to be much bothered by it, almost like he didn't notice his seizures.
It sure is super scary to us though. I became aware of the "spot" that would send him into the seizure and avoided touching him there.

Oscar hasnt responded at all to anything...he is laying in my wifes lap as i write
the only respenses are his ears twitching eyes open and occasional sniffing...Vets soon
Oscar was always a Shy loner and it has taken this for us to be able to hold him without him running off

Bad news...Our Vet suspected Oscar had a Spinal tumour that had affected his back legs and had travelled to his head so nothing could be done....So we went forward with the PTS as we didn't want Oscar to suffer :(
Yes it was time to let go...we never say Goodbye...."See you later Oscar have fun with Peanut Alfie and all the other Rattie boys n girls untill we meet again at the bridge"

Back