Ortiz's Breathing...he's gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is sooo hard to watch, I can remember all too vividly going through that. Hugs Shelagh!! :( It is so terrible watching them suffer just praying for them to either get better or pass away in peace.

Poor Ortiz. :(

mamarat said:
Could he be allergic to the meds? I'm so sorry, Shelagh.

I thought that this morning for the lasix, but this time it was doxy. What I am thinking is that he gets soo little oxygen as it is, then when he is forced to swallow the meds he cannot breathe and because he is already having trouble getting oxygen, he starts to gasp...

he just ate a little very watery baby cereal with his cagemates. I will at least keep him hydrated. Now he is back in his corner, breathing, but its close-mouthed.

Well its 5:34 am, and he is still alive. There was fighting in the Wildling cage and I turned the light on, went over to see him braced up against the back of the cage. I took him out and he has cool extremeties, and his breathing is rotten. I tried to get him to sleep in my shirt but that was a no-go. Right now he is on the top of my couch in my bathrobe. I brought Bronny out to be with him, and he was very interested in her and calmed down. Ears and eyes seem a bit less strained. Unfortunately my sweet white bum took off onto the floor and is popcorning down there. :roll: Bronny will be going with him on a journey today since she is soo accepting of other rats.

He's still cuddled into my thrown over bathrobe but I can quietly reach in and stroke his head and he doesn't seem to mind.

Ortizsept134.jpg

I will be working hard to find someone to euthanize him today, because he is not going to get better and his worse is going to be just awful, he will suffocate, and I am not going to allow that on my watch!

Oh Shelagh :cry:
I saw your video and poor little Ortiz, I can only say I'm glad he's at peace now.
But I don't know when I last heard such pain in anyone's voice, I'm in tears and my heart literally aches for you.
Your love is so evident, both in your voice and in all that you did for him both while he was sick and in your respect for him when he was well.
Whether he appreciated your hands-on care while he was here or not, no doubt he knows now all the love it carried and is grateful to you.

I'm so so sorry.
Now you're breathing heaven's sweet air, Ortiz. Goodbye little one.

Back