Orphaned wildlings need help ASAP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just after 8pm and no open ears, so we are probably 11 days not 12 today. I know it probably sounds petty, but I am sort of gutted about it. Every day is an absolute miracle with these guys making it through, and knowing that the survival chances will increase when their eyes open and they can start solids(ie. day 14) has felt like a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel... so even one day set back feels immense and tough. They are desperately cute though, and i'll cry like crazy if they don't make it.
View attachment 16447View attachment 16448View attachment 16449View attachment 16450View attachment 16451
Dang! At least they're still super cute though! You've been doing an amazing job with them so far, I love all the pictures.

Sorry for the late update (it is almost 8pm).
We made it through another night and today. Babies are adorable, of course.

that said (trigger warning):
The ears are only partially, not fully open. They aren't gaining weight. I feel like they are stagnating with their physical development and I expect them to just fade away. I do have anxiety and I don't think that helps things. I do know it is not the norm for babies that young to live this long on anything other than their mothers milk- so maybe nutritionally it is now taking it's toll. I hope they still make it. After some research as a last ditch effort i've added a supplement to their milk to hopefully boost the nutritional intake and help them push through the next few days and get where they need to be to start solids. I know no matter what happens I have tried my absolute best. I just feel kind of helpless right now.

Sorry for the late update (it is almost 8pm).
We made it through another night and today. Babies are adorable, of course.

that said (trigger warning):
The ears are only partially, not fully open. They aren't gaining weight. I feel like they are stagnating with their physical development and I expect them to just fade away. I do have anxiety and I don't think that helps things. I do know it is not the norm for babies that young to live this long on anything other than their mothers milk- so maybe nutritionally it is now taking it's toll. I hope they still make it. After some research as a last ditch effort i've added a supplement to their milk to hopefully boost the nutritional intake and help them push through the next few days and get where they need to be to start solids. I know no matter what happens I have tried my absolute best. I just feel kind of helpless right now.
I can imagine it's really hard but if they still have appetites I would keep on pushing through, babies like this are often thin like I mentioned before and judging by the pictures you posted they do look pretty healthy. The supplement is probably a good idea, though I should have asked from the beginning what you were feeding them

I can imagine it's really hard but if they still have appetites I would keep on pushing through, babies like this are often thin like I mentioned before and judging by the pictures you posted they do look pretty healthy. The supplement is probably a good idea, though I should have asked from the beginning what you were feeding them
I'll keep on trying. The goal when I brought them in was "they probably won't make it, but if they don't at least they died warm and comfortable with full bellies". But it's hard not to let them tug on the heartstrings, and after a week and a half I start to imagine that they might really make it,

regardless, the babies are still with us at almost 11pm, and I am seeing much more opening in the ear canals, which is nice. Good to know the little creatures I've been talking to can finally hear my voice! Pictures tomorrow if we make it through the night.

Hang on...where there's life there's still hope. You must be so tired, but you shouldn't be in limbo much longer. Best wishes to you and the wild 'uns.
Means a lot to me. Emotionally I am very caught up in it. Physically I am especially tired as I also have a 6m old and 2yo who are both teething and wake at night, though I suppose that means I wasn't sleeping anyway- ha. Appreciate support!

On a positive note, as of 10pm one baby has one eye open and the other baby has one eye starting to come unglued. They both took their milk well. Fingers crossed tomorrow we have two living, open eyed babies who are ready to start solids, start growing, and take on the world.

Tomorrow babies will be 14 days old. I found them at day 3 of life. We have come a long way. Sorry about lack of pictures, my phone is broken so I rely on stealing my OHs phone for pictures, but they were at a dental appointments most of the day today.

Survived the night! One baby girl has one eye completely open and the other starting to open. The other girl has one eye mostly open. They are DESPERATELY cute with their little eyes. Didn't want to finish their bottle this morning but I think they were just too distracted by their first glimpses of the world.

It is my incalculable joy to introduce to you Folklore "Folk" and Evermore "Ever"
341676037_752576522982684_2742625144597651938_n.jpg
341727109_905660047372982_4306012664172420072_n.jpg
341672075_229969696292702_5213298837274747488_n.jpg
341632732_6311214202272315_7541409978198786461_n.jpg
341679351_602860591902867_3204534889509701751_n.jpg

And yes I am aware we are not out of the woods yet, but I promised myself I would give myself the day to be hopeful if their eyes opened!

Babies have been doing great today. They are each taking .5ml of milk in the bottle and then eagerly eating just over .5ml each of fortified baby cereal mixed with milk that they lick off the end of a syringe. They look very pump and relaxed after a feed. The baby cereal hasn't upset their system so far *knock on wood*.

Okay, this will be my last post for tonight so I'm not too obnoxious, but the babies each gained 1g in 12 hours since starting baby cereal!!!!

Okay, this will be my last post for tonight so I'm not too obnoxious, but the babies each gained 1g in 12 hours since starting baby cereal!!!!
Amazing, thanks for all the hard work to save these little ones. World would be a better place if more people are willing to give like you do, sadly people in general would rather take (from society, from others, from mother earth, etc).

Amazing, thanks for all the hard work to save these little ones. World would be a better place if more people are willing to give like you do, sadly people in general would rather take (from society, from others, from mother earth, etc).
this means a lot. I truly love these two, and it has been an emotional journey to get here!

Back