Orphan Shrew

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael

My cat Roxy has brought back a baby shrew. I've given the little thing some hay right now.

I think its eyes are still shut, not totally sure though. Do you think if they are I should try feeding it lactol? :? That's what websites I found suggested but I don't want to harm it at all...

Nevermind, the little thing burst into life and although it's a baby, seemed active and desperate to get out, so we've put him/her back outside.

Putting it outside was the best choice. Shrews don't eat hay, they are not rodents. They have very sharp, pointy, dangerous teeth that they used to tear into bugs and other high calorie items. They have extremely high metabolisms and must eat a lot more than you would expect every day. They are a lot smaller than you would expect too, so you likely had an adult.

Thanks. :)

It was definitely a baby, we checked the average size and it was a lot smaller than that. It did have its eyes open though so not a tiny baby.

We read about how much they ate and we'd only had the little thing inside for half an hour or so but that's why we didn't want to keep it for too long. The hay wasn't for it to eat, was just what I quickly put into the tub for it.

Back