• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

opinons requested please

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Ok what most of you probably don't know is, I make a lot more hammocks than you will ever see photos of-
I use a lot of hammocks as trades for favors such as rides to the vet etc., since I am cash poor as they say (but rich in fleece :laugh4: )

I also make hammocks & burial pouches and bonding scarves for the wonderful couple who took in my girl Lovey, now named Milady

This is a hammock I made for Milady and her buddies,
in this photo the white you see inside is just cardboard i used to try to get it to stand up :giggle:

dble long cube/tube by catnapt, on Flickr

laying flat & squished down, you can see that the insides are two colors, purple fleece and green fleece:

double long cube/tube by catnapt, on Flickr

Double long cube/tube by catnapt, on Flickr

one end:

one end of dble long cube/tube by catnapt, on Flickr

Basically it's a long cube, like a triple cube, long like a tube or tunnel. It has a hole on one end, a hole on one side and a sky light on the top too!
It's 7 inches wide and tall and a full 20 inches long (although I"m thinking of making the next one 18 inches long, I think it will fit the cage better, what do you think??)

what do you think? is this anything you guys would be interested in for your rats?

Wow! That's really lovely work! My budget means I make stuff myself rather than buy, but if I could buy I would buy your stuff. You can see the love & care in it.

I would very much be interested in something like that... it's going to be a while until I can buy hammocks again though so don't count on me buying a couple right away. Sorry :(

thanks guys
I am making up as many pre mades now while business is slow because once Sept hits, things generally pick up pretty quick as people buy stuff for the holidays.

What do you think of the length though?

I am wondering if maybe it's a smidge too long, cuz I pictured it in the CN on a shelf, and the shelf is about 23 inches from front to back of the cage.

This only leaves about 3 inches in front of it, for the rats to come and go....
Maybe cut it back to about 18 inches would be better?

It could of course be hung the opposite direction, across the longer part of the cage, but when I hang anything cube-like I tend to hang it over a shelf, cuz most of my rats like more secure footing underneath.

I can't wait to find out what Milady and her cage mates think of this!! their new mom should be picking it up soon.

this is Milady aka Lovey, for those of you who may not remember her.

Lovey grooming Teddy by catnapt, on Flickr
By the way, that awesome hammock that they are on is a Rat Stash original, called the Ratty Tatty. I can't wait til the Rat Stash has these back in stock!

When I was down to just two rats and coming into winter in a new apt, I decided it was best to rehome those last two. One, Owen, was already close to 2, and Lovey/Milady was not yet a year old. Owen wasn't well and would be leaving Lovey all alone, and I didn't know about getting new rats as I hadn't spent a winter in my new apt and didn't know how expensive it was going to be to heat...
anyway Lovey loves rats and is in heaven in her new home, where there are always at least a dozen residents and roughly twice as many fosters!

victoria said:
I think maybe 15-16" is good? When you factor in the hooks, it would take up half the width of a CN, no?

well the CN is 23 inches front to back, right? (front being where the doors are)
and from side to side about 34 inches.

I was originally thinking it would be one a shelf, with the front opening near the door to the cage, you know? but that only leaves a couple of inches in front of the entrance.

if you put it the long way from side to side, yeh half the width of a CN is about 17 inches, but I originally saw it going the other way.

oh heck I'll go clean out the boy's cage and put it in there, so you can see what it looks like

it is quite big, funny it didn't seem that big when I was making it :lol:

photos show the hammock hanging back to front of cage, and then side to side, partly over a shelf and partly suspended:

the triple long cube/tube by catnapt, on Flickr

a 99cent box of tissues fits with room to spare LOL

Now I'm gonna have to make one for my boys. :lol:

Man I am seriously in love with that and I would definitley buy one when they go up for sale :) ( or even special order one) not sure abotut he length but i imagined it going the other way ( not over a shelf so as to create mroe space plus my boys chew cubes when they are touching ground lol) 17-18 inches woudl probably be perfect.

Reading through this thread, this is what I was thinking too... I know if I put it on the shelf, it will be a one-time use hammock as all the rats I've had loved to chew cubes, but will leave suspended hammocks alone, for some reason.

And you know what? I always want to put some big roomy hammock in the lower part of the CN, but don't have that many that do what I want. This is great! And eventhough Lord knows I don't need more hammocks, I could be very, very tempted to try one or two... :wink2:

The long cube would be great side to side, rather than over the shelf. Mine like having a side to side hammock. The shorter length (15-16" as suggested) would be perfect for the shelf and would allow exit room and space for a litter box in the back corner.

Very nice looking hammock!

I love it, and as for the size the longer size may be good for people like me who don't have lots of hammocks to fill up a CN

That is awesome - definitely would want 1 or 2, not sure if I'd put it in the cage, but that would be great for under the cage out time! :heart:

OK, my two cents:
I have two shelves in the top half of my CN, so I would suspend it over the shelf, but with room underneath it. So I would put it in my CN from front to back.
I have never had a cube - how well does it hold its shape when rats are in it? I have a couple of cozy boats, and since the bottom is supported, it doesn't collapse when there's a rat in there.
Any way to have long loops at the bottom corners to attach to the ceiling as well to keep it 'cube' shaped (rectangular) when suspended?

Joanne said:
OK, my two cents:
I have two shelves in the top half of my CN, so I would suspend it over the shelf, but with room underneath it. So I would put it in my CN from front to back.
I have never had a cube - how well does it hold its shape when rats are in it? I have a couple of cozy boats, and since the bottom is supported, it doesn't collapse when there's a rat in there.
Any way to have long loops at the bottom corners to attach to the ceiling as well to keep it 'cube' shaped (rectangular) when suspended?

yeh those Cozy Boats are unique! I think if I were going to suspend a cube I'd put a flat hammock under it, but I've never used a cube that way.

I use a cube like you would any other type of hide, that sits on the shelf.
I just hang it a tiny bit off the shelf, my boys don't like to be too far off the ground. :giggle:

When I had rats that liked being suspended I rarely used cubes because they chewed thru them so fast.
But then I never suspended them, I hear rats aren't as likely to chew holes in them if you suspend them.

Back