Open scratches and scabbing help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeljdawyd

I have two males ~10months old. Over the past month they've started scratching neck/shoulder areas more than normal, as well as roughly grooming each other in these areas. As a result they are both littered with wounds and scabs (20-30 red scabs each). It has been a few weeks of monitoring and their behaviour hasn't changed and the wounds keep re-opening and scabbing as they scratch the areas constantly.

They have another friend who comes to visit and play who is fine with no scabs and does not furiously scratch and groom, which makes me believe it isn't a parasite/bugs. The living environment hasn't changed in the 10months i've had them, only the weather has (hot/humid).

Any help/suggestions to improve my rats quality of life would be appreciated.

I would still treat them for mites. It doesn't always show up on the others. Also for the food, high levels of protein can cause sores and itching too. Can we get a pic of your sweeties?

Here are pics of my one male showing the open wounds on his neck and shoulders.

I'll take a look at the local pet supplies stores here locally for mite treatments. Not sure if I'll have any luck finding the correct medicine or even get correct information from the shops. I'm in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and rats are hard to come by so the local shops do not carry much inventory geared towards rats.

SAM_2068.jpg

SAM_2066.jpg

SAM_2065.jpg

SAM_2064.jpg

I spread the fur to get a better view of a few of the scabs/wounds. There are many more not visible.

Found some info through a site search (should have done that before starting a post). There is a TSC store here so I should be able to find a medicine with ivermectin if I cannot find revolution through a vet.

Contacted the local vet clinics.

One told me to apply a drop of mineral oil to their ear canals then massage the back of the head and ears once a week until stuff stops coming out of the ears, and this can cure them of mites. I asked about Revolution and was told not to use it for rats ever.

Another told me they would have to see my rats for $78/rat before they would help/advise me. I asked about Revolution and was referred to make an appointment.

I felt their tone change as soon as I had to tell them it was for rats, not a cat or dog like they assumed. They seemed disinterested.

IMG_0044-1.jpg

THEY have no clue. Rats don't get ear mites like cats. They get a different species. Revolution is off-label use (like almost ALL abs and medications) for rats but is a preferred and recommended treatment.

Definitely find another vet.

Could the visiting rat be fighting with your boys? Those are big sores unless they are feverishly scratching at it. Regardless, I'd do a mite treatment. Go to an equine store and get panomec or something for with ivermectin in it. That will be your best bet for now.

On the Pfizer vet website it lists the Revolution dosing for rats. This should be easily accessible to all vets. So yeah, time to look for a different rat vet. Even if you go the Ivermectin route, you need to find a decent rat vet. Good luck on your search, and your boys are adorable!

Back