one sneezy rat!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellonwheelz3

OK, I got two male rats a few weeks ago at the pet store. One is very outgoing, loves to play and be held but the other is very shy and does not come out of his hiding spot at all. He also starts sneezing when we try to hold him. Should I worry?

Each rat has a unique personality but with time and socializing you can help the skittish one overcome his fear.
Since you've only had him for a couple of weeks, sneezes are normal... but make sure to keep an eye on any other symptoms like wheezing, congestion, change in appetite...

One of my rats sneezes when she gets excited and is out and a bit nervous. Normally she doesn't sneeze. I would see when he sneezes. If it is only when he is excited/stressed, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It would be behavioural vs. medical.

Also make sure that you are not putting out a smell that is sensitive to rattie noses! Freshly shampooed hair, cologne or perfume can be very irritating to rats as they have very sensitive respiratory systems. Some rats even react to freshly laundered clothes.

Back