One Porphy Eye - A few more questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

So my little Buttercup has had one eye that is getting a lot of porpherine (spelling?) lately, it doesn't seem to hurt her, as she never touches it, and she doesn't flinch if you pet her over her eye. She seems to see fine out of it. So having said all of that, is a vet visit necessary? She started getting a little tiny bit of porph about 2 weeks ago, I didn't think anything of it but it increased about 2 days ago, BUT I moved around that time, which could have caused stress, increasing her porph. Why is it only in one eye? Advice, reassurance, all is welcome.

I have one of my girls Sugar (smeezie) that has a chronic porphy eye. It does't seem to faze her I just have to help her keep it clean. It was alot worse when I first got her, she was being kept in really dirty cage. Are you hearing any wheezing or sneezing at all? The move could be a cause and created a bit of stress.

She could have have an over active duct... I've always had at least one in my group with one leaky eye. Without other symptoms I wouldn't bring her in just yet.

*phew* what a relief, There are no sounds of wheezing or anything like that. I've been really lucky with my girls so far. I was just concerned since it is only one eye but a leaky duct seems about right. Thanks again!

That answered my question as well! One of my boys has had a porphy eye the last few weeks and I checked the eye for debris and keep it clean for him. Cage is kept fairly clean (I don't think you can keep a cage really clean with rats), he has no other symptoms and the eye doesn't bug him. I was going to start him on an antibiotic eye cream but since his other eye wasn't running I was puzzled.

Being porphy in one eye can be a sign that something nasty is happening on that side of the face, but as said, if you aren't seeing any other major problems don't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye out.

Hey sorry to bring up this topic again, just had a few more questions/concerns. I don't want to go to the vet if i don't have to because it is so expensive, but if it is necessary then I will.

Her eye is still prophy, will it be this way her whole life? Why wasn't it porphy when she was younger?

I don't see any swelling but it seems that the skin around the eye is a little red, having said that, she has white, or creamy coloured fur, could the fur just be stained from the porph or is it more likely the skin is irritated from over grooming or the proph itself OR is it a sign of something else. She doesn't seem to have any lesions on the eye and it doesn't seem to bug her, she does like it when I clean it for her! (I think she just likes the attention)
I felt her face very closely and I don't feel any bumps or swelling so I am hoping its nothing internally wrong, if i do need antibacterial eye cream can I get it without an exam and how do I know if I need it, how much do I give her, etc.

Thanks again, you guys are always so helpful and knowledgeable!

Hi Chel, I sure understand wanting to save your dollars for a more serious need when it comes to vets.
Since she still has the porphy eye, my guess is that she'll probably have it for quite some time.
The red under the eye is from staining and burning. The protein in the porphyrin burns the fur and skin. It could actually leave the eye naked but that's in extreme cases. (extreme porphyrin)
Currently Rodeo has a porphy eye and has had it since he's been at his rescue before coming here. I'm not worried about it. I know it happens and from my experience it never got worse, never interfered with the rat's daily routine.
You could try a few things like change in diet, change in bedding, change area of the cage. You could also apply polysporin eye/ear drops to the eye twice a day... sometimes that helps and clears up the eye. (vet recommended)

Back