OMG he ATE himself!! help! help!! HELP!!-pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if its just a typical abscess that's blown, should i still bother to take him to the vet? to me the hole is HUGE but if this is normal...? i dealt with recurring abscesses on babydoll that were triggered from a mammary tumor, they were never this... well.. this!

Klardae's chin abscess was so big when it got drained that it made a hole straight through her chin into the bottom of mouth. I'd imagine your rat's size of abscess is fairly normal, and thank god it isn't on his face or this would be a real mess.

kayratz-yes, thank god its not his face. i hear that those can be deadly in some cases.

lilspaz-those later pictures look much better. it was only 3-4 days before that was completely healed though? with an open wound like that it really only took that short a time to heal up? was there a scar?

wow, that makes me wonder if going to the vet is going to be a waste of time and money... i have the abs here and now i know how to make saline... your boy never saw the vet?

I have never had an abcess on one of my girls but I have had several tumors removed and the little stinkers rip the stitches out everytime leaving gapping wounds. HUGE like 1.5 inches long and gapping open by about 1 inch. I just cleaned the opening with saline water and changed the litter from YN to shredded paper and cleaned the cage everyday and within 5 days the wound was nothing more than a scab and completely healed and gone with in 7 days of the surgery.

The yellow stuff is just fatty tissue (just like lilspaz said) and honeslty they do a pretty good job theirselves at keeping the wound clean and undercontrol as long as you do your part to kept the living area clean.

Oh man that is one nasty looking little abscess hole! I can see why you freaked out, abscesses are totally gross.

Heal fast Chop Suey!

It's perfect! Abscess hole!

Lets use it in a sentence shall we?

"Honey, you're being an abscess hole!"

LOL!!

My boy Urn had an abcess on his hip that literally exploded when I put him the sink to soak it :sick2: It looked like pea soup, all chunky and just nasty.

I took him to the vet to have the thing cleaned, she was mad that she didnt get to open it for him LOL *ummm ewwww*

It left a hole the size of a quarter and pretty deep after it was all said and done. It healed fine and the only thing now? His hair grew back darker on that spot. he is an AB smeeze and he now has a point on his hip :giggle:

he's doing wonderfully. there's only a small sliver of an opening left now. wow, they heal fast! i go home from vacation with him tomorrow, i think he'll be able to go back with his buds by monday if things keep going as they are. he's been loving on the vacation food that mommy eagles makes. she's not fond of him but doesn't deny him her cooking either! :lol: he's helped me get caught up in my cross stitching and my reading (read: chewed) and has been enjoying the one on one mommy and auntie time. but i'm sure he'll be very happy to be home and groomed by his tasche (she's been his shadow since he went to the main cage). i feel silly now for having such a huge panic attack. it really turned out to be nothing much at all. when i had him at the vet he said i was doing everything right and to just keep doing it. didn't charge me for the reassurance, which was nice. but even then i felt apprehensive. seeing how fast he's healing though and how well and how little i've had to do, yeah, now i feel silly. i guess i have to keep reminding myself that they are actually quite hardy little critters and not so fragile, even though they are so small... :oops:

thank you to everyone that helped talk me through all this and shared their experiences with me. i don't think i will ever be able to express how wonderful a resource your collective knowledge and shared love is. and just how deeply appreciative i am for it. thank you

Ick....this thread made me vaguely glad that I've dealt with abscesses before...granted only on a cat...

Jinx had a lovely top of the head that invaded the entire left side of his poor face making him look like the elephant man type abscess that exploded one night during dinner and automatically made everyone lose their appetite at the smell alone.

Drain it, flush it, and with him, because he had a gaping hole that extended down into his poor face, pack it with an entire tube of antibiotic ointment.

He still has a bald spot, poor friar tuck kitty.

This is something I hope I don't have to worry about with my girls though. :(

Back