Olivia - maybe not urethra!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After some treats and a lot of cuddling Wayne and I are pretty sure Olivia is bleeding vaginally. We see dried blood underneath her Urethra and after a while we could see red in the vaginal area and I don't think it's the skin inside. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to take her in on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm so sorry about Olivia, but if you can confirm it's coming from her vagina now, at least you know what your next steps will be.

Do you have Baytril? Our vet had us put Venus on Baytril for at least three days to try and start to fight the infection, before doing the spay. i.e. it's much safer to spay them, if you can start getting any possible infection cleared up, or on it's way.

Please keep us posted on dear Olivia.

I have her on antibiotics right now, she will be going on Clav, I decided to wait to see what the antibiotics would do, at least I can go to my vet with the info that antibiotics didn't work. I will however keep a very close eye on her to make sure all is ok, if I see one slight turn she will be in for sure and fast.

Sometimes a vaginal bleeding can be taken care of with abs, but as LA said, watch carefully and even if it doesn't clear up at least you have stayed on top of the infection and gotten abs into their system to help after the spay.

To update, I have her on Clavamox and Doxy for the... well whatever bleeding it is. I started the Clav today, I did notice that the blanket was clean this morning from overnight so that's a good sign. I don't see any blood on it tonight either. She is still perky, maybe more then normaly because she feels special about getting a treat. She's also taking my acidophillus (under Shelaghs suggestion) to help maintain the good bacteria in her body. I have Hpylori bacteria in my stomach and I know how important it is to have good bacteria in you. I never thought I would be sharing my pills with my rat :D

Back