Olivia - maybe not urethra!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Wayne found some blood on Pearls tail, just basically a drop about 3/4 cm big. So when he was trying to figure out what happened he noticed blood on Lily's and Willows tail. We couldn't see any cuts on anyone, so we were wondering what it was. Olivia is my freak out indicator. If somethings wrong or someone hurts themselves she's freaked out and she was social as ever. Wayne checked the underneath bellys and such as well. It's not a lot but the fact it was on three tails confuses me.

Any ideas?

Could it be porphyrin? Sometimes rats will sleep on their tails. But... I've sometimes found small bloody stains on tails before and never could figure out where it came from.

There was blood on Hazels tail tonight and more on Willows. It didn't look old, parts of the blood on Hazel's tail looked new. Also we put in a new blanket last night and there were spots of blood on them. We can't see any cuts on their bodies at all, I have no clue what's going on. I know Hazel has been feeling under the weather, but she's still bright eyed and active.

I don't know what's going on, two nights in a row makes me a little more concerned. :(

I'm not sure, I have never dealt with that before. Everyone is chipper, and bright eyed, I don't see any blood down in that area. I use YN in the bottom I would have to figure out how to find out about this. Hazel is my horde girl, if I put paper towel or anything in the bottom she will bring it up for bed and leave the bottom bare. :doh:

We figured it out, didn't take long, our Olivia baby (my avatar) is peeing blood. I should be getting doxy in the mail tomorrow. Will that be ok not sure how much is a lot, I've never dealt with this before. So it's recent, we noticed blood yesterday.

No doxy is not strong enough, she needs something better, Clavamox might do or even the Convenia shot might work. It's usually given to dogs but seems to work somewhat on rats. The Convenia shot should be given at least once a week for a few weeks until symptoms disappear. The shot is under $2. Baytril might work if it's a mild bladder infection.
Give Olivia a cuddle for me!!

Surprisingly doxy is indicated for UTI :shock: But she should be receiving some clavamox in the mail next week. I say start her on the doxy, then add in the clav when you get it. :wink2:

Thank you all for all your support. Olivia was out from under the blanket when I came into the room so I was petting her. I noticed blood on the blanket from last night. Olivia moved away from me like 'don't touch me mom', not sure if that's her normal nature coming out, but it also could be, 'I'm not well, leave me alone'. Sometimes she's a don't touch me girl. But she did pee and it was clear so it is a come and go thing.

Oh poor Olivia! :sad3:

Are you sure she's peeing the blood and it's not coming from her vagina? Is she spayed? If not, you might consider it could be vaginal bleeding. Of course, this isn't good and a spay would be honestly be the best thing (unless she's elderly and you need to judge her health by her age etc).

We had a similar experience and it actually took me a little while to see who it was too. Females are very good at cleaning themselves. What I did was pick up the girls while they were sleeping and before they could get cleaning themselves. Sure enough, Venus had blood around her vagina.

Our vet put them on Baytril and within a couple days, the bleeding stopped. But considering the bleeding is probably a symptom of a larger uterine problem (tumor, cysts, pyometra etc), we had Venus spayed. She lived another year and a half, to a ripe old age of 38 months.

Baytril is definitely a better choice than Doxy and more "well rounded" in case like this, where you aren't sure. Cefa is another good choice (much like Convenia) too.

Do keep us posed on dear little Olivia.

Thank you Debbie for that information. I will definately keep that in mind. I do think he came from the urethra but I will make sure tonight. I would like to be certain of this.

Olivia is still very perky and very much enjoying the treat she is getting. Giving her treats really improves her mood, although doing this on a continual basis would not improve her weight :doh: I started the doxy and I really hadn't seen any blood yesterday but today we noticed blood on Willow's tail that seems fresher. So we put fresh blankets in this AM and we will see what they are like when we get home from work. I am going to take them all out and put them in a small cage with paper towels and make sure it's only Olivia.

three of my girls (all sisters) got a severe bladder infection when they were very young. They were getting Zithro for a URI at the time. One day I came home to find one of them cool and listless on the bottom of the cage. I could see dilute blood around the cage, but couldn't find any injury. Luckily my vet was still open and he took a look at them. ONe of them peed on the exam table, and he knew right away what was the trouble.

He increased the Zithro to the maximum dosage (they were too young for Baytril at the time), and they recovered very fast.

I remember being very scared at how fast the illness had progressed. All three girls had very pale paws, so they had lost a lot of blood. After hearing about the Rat Shack hematuria I have felt nervous about hematuria ever since.

Paws crossed for your sweeties! :heart:

...and cranberry juice. my moms's had repeated UTI's (sorry mom) and she always drank cranberry juice when she had them - it can't hurt, eh?

Back