Oldie behaviour

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhianimal

Hi ratto friends. I'm just after some age comparison advice.
This is Priss. She's two years and just over eight months old. She's a fatto ratto, but has lost some weight around her spine (lots of loose skin) and she's going ginger (aww
2764.png
<3).
Naturally she's slower than she was, but she patters about, washes and can stand upright on her back legs. She also has a good appetite and is curious, still.
I'm getting her vet checked tomorrow in case of heart issues due to her size. But I'm wondering what the typical energy levels are for a rat this age.

Attachments

• Inspect1.jpg
    Inspect1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57
Awwww …… such a beautiful little girl!!
Great that she is in good health and still active, curious and eating well
Does she live with any friends?

My rats who are close to 3 years or have been over 3 also slowed down, slept a lot, still walked around and were curious and interested in things but not very active. They have been more interested in nest building and rearranging their cage to suit themselves. I made changes to their cages as they aged, hung hammocks low for example. made sure they had access to a water dish that can not be upset, and also started supplementing their die with soft foods such as soaking their rat blocks in cold water to make mush

In my experience, some rats age faster or slower then others and as they age their activity levels seem to be determined by their health. Things like weight, mobility issues, heart issues, and neurological issues have impacted my rats and their activity levels as they have aged.

Sorry I can not answer your question.
I hope you will update us and post more pics of your girl

Thanks SQ. :) . That is helpful. She's not at the mush stage, yet, but she does scoff baby food when she can. We've had to deal with rats with HLD, so cage design shouldn't be a problem.

I find that rats of all ages like the block mush (I feed Harlan Teklad 2014) and what I appreciate about it and soft foods is that it helps to keep them well hydrated ….. mine also enjoy thinks like cooked & mashed sweet potato, cooked whole oatmeal/organic 12 grain cereal etc with blueberries

She's such a little doll. I've had rats that age be really slow and others be super active. I think it really depends on the rat. What you should watch for is a dramatic change in behaviour.

Back