Oldest Age?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The oldest rat I have had, is two of my current boys, Teddy & Toby, both are blood brothers, and are 26 months old. Teddy is reallllly showing his old age, and I just love it! ..I have had rats now for 2.5 years, 10 are waiting for me at the bridge ..and all of those 10 rats left me at 24 months or younger, from awful cancers. So it's so nice to see Teddy getting old, just nice to know he has gotten there!
Toby on the other hand, has not started showing his age much, which is funny because I thought he would be gone before any of them :) ..he is super rat!

What's the oldest age you have had?

I don't know Milky's exact birthday, but when I got him from Chelle she said he was around 1 year old. if this is true, it would put him at 42, almost 43 months!! he's ALWAYS been old and frail looking, but not much has changed. he's always been a little thin, perhaps he's a bit bonier these days but he's still as active as ever. it's kind of amazing. he's supposed to be my oldest rat but it seems he'll outlive both my first two rats (which are over a year younger than him!). super rat Milky!
milkycookie-1.png

and because he's been neutered (for behavioral reasons), he never pee-drips, so I feel most comfortable taking him out with me. just today I went to get a haircut with him. :) and everyone loves him, he's such a calm rat, he loves sleeping in laps. he's SO a people-rat, prefers the company of humans to his brothers haha. and every stranger he meets, he licks as a greeting! who can resist that?

Well, it's a toss-up. When I got Sweeney, I was told he was "about a year" and I had him for two years. But I have no idea how old he actually was.

Now, I know for a fact that Echo lived to be 32 months, because she was born at my house. Her mother died about two montsh before she did, so that's 30 months + however old she was when she got pregnant....I'm guesstimating she was about 4-5 months.

So either way, looks like 36~ months is my record.

The oldest rat I've ever had was sushi fy first ratty. She was about 1 year old when I got her and She died about 8 months after I got her. only 20 months give or take. But I've only had rats for about 1 year. It's gonna tear me up when my other's start going :(

Nell, she turned 40 months on the 19th. :D

Sadly she's been getting more quiet now. :( But she is doing amazingly well for her age.

So far, my known oldest was Picolo, my heart rat, who was let go at 34 months old. But Container, my first rat, might have beaten him - my friend found him a year and a half before I finally took him home, and he already was an adult rat - God know how old he was, but he sure looked and acted old in the end :sad3:

Yeesh... I feel totally inferior in terms of ages...

Mr. Honeycomb, my oldest, passed at 28 months - he was the oldest of the Beaverton Boys, poor things had terrible genes.

I think I just manage to have a lot of bad genes - Princess died from vet malpractice though, so I've no idea how old she would have gotten (died at 18 months, my sweet heart rat who still bullies me in my dreams!). Plumeria had a heart attack at around 18-19 months, Chance had a series of strokes that finally killed him at about 20 months.

One of my oldest was Willow one of my first rats...she was 27 months, My friend Beth had a rat named Marilynn, who was my god rat who lived to be 38 months,

Piper, my little girl who gave me 11 beautiful babies, lived to be around 30 months old....
Her babies all lived to be around 2 to 2 1/2

I now have my girl Phoebe who is 32 months and still looking good.....Most of my rats seem to live to be 24 months....some a bit before...some a bit after. :( Not nearly long enough....it is the saddest part of owning and loving rats.

Aww, all of my rats are babes. I haven't lost one yet. Neville's my oldest, of an unknown age, though at least a year.

My oldest was Loki, she passed at 45 months old.
Pascal was 43 months.
Davis was a few days away from being 42 months.
Bijou was 41 months.
Vincent and Mielle were 39 months.
Mister was 38 months.

We helped Dominic go when he was a bit over 32.

Greg is our oldest remaining right now, but we have no idea how old he actually is, our best guess is about 32 months. Still shuffling along with his cystic tummy lumps, being a sleepy grumpy lone rat with half a double CN to himself.

I have the superrat Mab... she just celebrated her 50 month birthday. And she celebrated it by... pinning the younger (and much bigger and fatter) boys in her cage, and shoving her bum in their faces.

Normally when I hear people say they have a rat live as long as she's living, I call bullcrap on them, but we have had her since she was about (high estimate) 10 weeks old (I think she was closer to 7-8). So I know almost exactly how old she is.

DSC_3921.jpg

What chelle, you mean you don't believe that back in the good old days they had their rat in a 10gal on pine and seed mix (can be replaced with table scraps) that lived to be 5? You're getting cynical I see :giggle:

This thread is truly encouraging, I hope I have my rats live as long as some of you guys.

Dazzle87 said:
What chelle, you mean you don't believe that back in the good old days they had their rat in a 10gal on pine and seed mix (can be replaced with table scraps) that lived to be 5? You're getting cynical I see :giggle:

This thread is truly encouraging, I hope I have my rats live as long as some of you guys.

I must be getting cynical. Hmmmm I wonder why? I can't think of a reason... :giggle:

Back