Old Rat with Bleeding Abscess - Gruesome Pic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

My first and oldest rat, Ivory, started growing an abscess at her 3rd birthday. I tried to pop it but was too afraid to apply sufficient pressure. It opened and reopened but because of her age I thought she would pass away before needing to intervene. At 3 years, 1 month, and 1 week old we came home to this huge awful wound. I rinsed it with saline solution. Still she shows no signs of pain and is scurrying around, fiesty and curious as ever.

I've been advised she is far too old to travel to the vet. What should I do other than saline rinses? I thought the other rats may be helping her clean it but maybe they are doing her more harm. Still, I don't want her being isolated and possibly die alone.

Last edited:
That looks bad.. It may be infected as well.. How is she peeing.? Any problems there.? Odds are that she'll need medication to heal that fully... But it may not be worth medicating her because she's so old. You said you don't think she'd make it to the vet but the best thing might be to have her humanly pts- hopefully someone with more knowledge comes along with better information and news then me- it was simply what I would do in this situation...

Thanks for your reply. My friend said it wasn't worth stressing her out going to the vet but this being so bad I brought her in with L who is having a lump removed today. The doctor said it would need to be surgically removed but again she is too old for that. He's prescribing some meds I'll pick up with L later in case she shows signs of pain. He agreed she is too willful to put down right now.

I cannot see where she pees but she is drinking a lot (both milk and water) between eating. And there was enough poop in the carrier today for 3 rats (Phoebe came too for company :9)

Last edited:
Back