Ok, so I'm just REEEEEALLY paranoid, right?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Debbie said:
Noelle is still doing her odd stretching and seems uncomfortable at times.

Is she like sucking in her sides?
If she's sucking in her sides like around her stomach area it's a sign she's in great pain.

goli-owwiestretchapr11.jpg

This isn't my photo I found it on another rat forum, the photo is lilspaz68's =)

Yeah it sounds like owwie stretches. Maybe add a little pain meds to keep her more comfy until you decide what to do?

I hope the enalapril helps the heart and the meds help the infection and she can get her spay. I almost would say "go for it anyways" because of her age. The infection could really hurt her and possibly kill her if her uterus isn't removed, and if your lovely passed during surgery, at least you will have tried. :(

I am sorry Debbie.

Any news?

I agree with lilspaz it would be much better to try with the surgery and lose her in the process than have her live in pain like that. It's really sad, poor thing. =(
Hopefully the meds help her along so she can get her surgery safely.
Sending out good vibes to her! Hope everything works out.

Oh that picture was so sad. That poor little rattie! :sad3:

Sorry I didn't get back to this post, I almost forgot about it.

Thankfully, Noelle didn't look as bad as Leala's rattie :sad3: She just did some odd stretching with a tiny bit of side sucking. I'm still convinced it was uterine in nature, but am very thankful that after the 4th day on Baytril, she stopped stretching and appeared to be feeling much better. So it's definitely treating the infection.

As many of you know though, usually when you start to see uterine problems, they'll usually always come back if you take them off the meds. At this point though, with her heart issues, I'm not willing to risk her life to do a spay, if she's feeling otherwise normal on the Baytril. I AM still watching her very closely and will have the surgery if we feel a mass growing, or see any discharge or evidence the infection is returning. If Noelle were young, it might be a different story. But she can be anywhere between 2 and 3 and she's feeling just great right now. Matter of fact, since she's now been on both the baytril and Enalapril for almost 2 weeks, she's even been down right playful.

So, we keep an eye on her and will get the surgery at the first sign of any further issues.

Thank you for the continued good thoughts for Miss Noelle.

Glad to hear the poor girl's doing better. Chances are she'll probably have to be on baytril for the rest of her life. Better than risking her in a spay. It's good to hear she's doing SO MUCH BETTER though =) :tumkiss: Give her some scritches and some belly kisses =)

Yeah, I'm not planning to take her off the Baytril for sure. I had her on Metacam those first few days for pain, but when she looked to be feeling just fine, we took her off. I just hope we can keep her stable and she may not have to go through the risk of a spay at this point in her life. However, at the first sign of anything....it's off to surgery for Miss Noelle.

On a side note, she was hilarious last night, while going through intro's with our new tiny girl, Pearl. Noelle has been doing the puffy (oh who the heck are you) dance. They tussled a couple of times and I kept running to Pearl's defense (no real fighting...just the getting to know you tussling). Then I actually watched them. Noelle just does a little side winding and puffing. But it was Pearl that was trying to show Noelle who was boss and was getting ticked because she couldn't flip Noelle (imagine a 206gram rattie....trying to flip a 600gram rattie). They eventually calmed down and all was well.

ROFL!

I can just imagine Pearl's frustration there...

Princess used to flip Plumeria whenever Plumeria got cheeky - but Plumeria was 400g while Princess was 300g, so not as big a difference in weight.

Back