Ok, I cave...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

*sigh* I can't just NOT have one anymore.

That's right.

The FerretNation has won over another rat keeper.

But I am confused... Where do you get them? What the heck is the difference between a single, double, and triple? What do I need? Will it fit in my home?! :shock:

Off to do research, but if anyone wants to point me in the right direction... That'd be cool too. :p

If you want a nice big home for the 5 bubs, I'd say get the FN 142, it's a two level, easy to take care but it is big. The single the FN 141 is a one level still a bit bulky but not tall like the 142. The single is good for 6 rats, it's not ideal but it's acceptable with lots of out time. The triple is huge and I don't recommend it unless you are a hoarder like me. :laugh4: Just kidding of course, about the hoarding. :wink2:

Cool beans! :D Shipping is whats going to kill, I imagine.

What do... um... does one need a triple?

Or would the double... I don't even know if this is a double, it's this one:

http://www.ferret.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=630503

How many manrats would this thing hold? It looks monstrous!

Edit: Thanks Jo!! :D So that's the one I want then!

Its looking like it's going to be more than five... More like 7....

But the double is the one I want to go for, yes?

Edit again: Or am I now a hoarder (I prefer rat lover with bad will power ;) LOL) and need the triple... Oh geez this thing is going to be HUGE...

Seriously, don't get the triple. You don't need it, repeat after me, you don't need it. lol

According to rat cage calculators, the FN 142 or double FN can hold 12 rats but personally I wouldn't put more than 9-10 manrats. So figuring that... your 5 will be in rat heaven with all that glorious space.

141 is a single FN. I currently have a single FN, and Jo said that 6 would be okay in there, especially since your boys get lots of out time. But you're getting 7 now?

A 142 is a double... I was pretty surprised by how big a single FN was, so I still have trouble fathoming how big a double is.

You can not buy/order a triple, you need to add a single and a double together yourself. And, as Jo said, it's really not necessary unless you are dealing with a big number of ratties.

Are you still going to be in your dorm while using the cage?? I would have trouble picturing a 142 in a dorm room. But, with 7 you definately need the 142.

Nope, I will be at home with it. I can't hide a FN I don't think.

Double it is!

YAY! I found one near KC for 100 bucks, it say's its 5 foot, would that be the double or are they tricky and thats the single?

Mm I'm rethinking that decision. Since we are junking my car on the way home when my parents come get me, we are not going to have room to load a FN (even broken down) in addition to all of my stuff and the boys' cage now. *sigh* It's an awesome deal... But I can wait until I get to KS and check there, and if nothing else, order new. *grins* I know my dad will be happier if I make it seem like a bargain (my money or not he gets antsy when I spend money on animals). I remember when we had that Superpet cage and it was 90 dollars (originally I don't know how much) but he only didn't throw a hissy at that because it was on sale. :p

Yeah, I was thinking that. I also have to make room for this in my small military housing room, LOL.

Question, the parents are really concered about the new carpets in the house. With a Ferret Nation, how dirty do your floors get? My guys like to push raisins out of their cage. Although, with the FN I am going to install litter boxes (not exactly enough room in their cage now) so maybe we can work that out anyway. Just wondering so when they go "Um... Yeah, carpet?" I can say "It will be fine" and then not look like a liar later.

I could always put little sides around the bottom and the levels so they can't fling/push anything through the bars all too easily. *thinks*

Oh good. I wasn't worried about it at all; I know things can be cleaned. It's my parents who are the freaks. :p LOL. To make them feel better maybe I'll have some linoleum laid between the carpet and base.

If you're thinking of getting an FN ferret.com is really good as was previously mentioned. That is where Ang and me got our double FN from. We got it for like 160 I think it was with shipping and everything and we're in Canada so I'm sure it'd be a little cheaper for you where you're in the states. I bet if you called the girl we had she'd probably even give you a discount if you tell her we sent you to her lol she was so impressed that people with rats are buying the cages. She gave us 10% off 'cause she liked talkin to Ang so much lol so cool. Here's her info. Good luck with the move and finding a cage!

So the girls name at ferret.com is
JENNIFER ALTLAND
> 1-570-384-5555
>
> EXT. 249

We lined the carpet under the FNs with sticky plastic floor liners... I think you can get them in Painting departments for use to protect you rfloors when you paint rooms... It works like a dream!! Anything that gets pushed out or... shot :roll: ... out of the cage lands on the plastic and makes it super easy to clean!

I saw that when I was with my sister picking out paint... I thought "how weird..." but now I think "HOW GREAT!"

Awesome suggestion! I swear, you guys are the best! *hugs everyone*

^_^ It's kind of tough to roll out because it's so sticky... also, make sure that the carpet is dry or it won't stick... So don't clean your carpet then try to lay down the sticky plastic :roll: :oops: But yeah... I wipe it down with cage cleaner when I clean the cages just to pick up any bacteria or anything that might be on it!

Back