Odysseys babies are eating solid food! Pics :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lindsayfawn said:
aww they're so cute! I'm 98% sure the second one is a girl. Can't really tell in the first pic.

That was my guess too :thumbup: I know the first pic is a bit blurry :D

I don't know anything about baby ratties, but my fiance and I think that in the first picture the baby on the far right looks like he has swelling in his cheek? Hopefully it's nothing and we just don't know what we're looking at!

They are sweet little babies :D Are you going to keep the little boy and neuter him? How is mama doing now?

Snowy said:
I don't know anything about baby ratties, but my fiance and I think that in the first picture the baby on the far right looks like he has swelling in his cheek? Hopefully it's nothing and we just don't know what we're looking at!

They are sweet little babies :D Are you going to keep the little boy and neuter him? How is mama doing now?

Looks like whisker pouches to me. I had a big scare with Sky's litter thinking one of them had a swollen face, but it was just the whisker pouch! ;)

Snowy said:

I think it is the whisker pouch ... but I will keep an eye on it ;) Unfortunately , this litter was quite a surprise , and we are not accommodated to keep any of the males :( However , I have SO many great homes lined up for the little men :D As for the ladies of the litter , I will be keeping them all for myself :cheeky: Although , my Aunt really wants one or two of the girls , we will have to see how many there are :D Momma is doing okay. She is really antsy and want's out of the little birthing cage bad. I will be moving her to a larger one tomorrow so hopefully she will settle down. Other than that , she seems to be taking her responsibilities much more serious now. I think she was a bit confused at first as to what was going on but she got the hang of it :wink2: I can't wait for the little bubbers to start growing hair!!

When they start to grow hair is when they are cutest. Congratulations on a small litter. :D

I'm glad to hear it's just a whisker pouch! How cute is that, they have pouches of whiskers!

Could you perhaps let the little mommy out of the cage a couple times a day to run around and burn off some energy? It did occur to me that you could put a wheel in her cage up high where the babies couldn't wriggle into it, but I may be afraid of the mom putting a baby in the wheel and then running in it. Maybe rats are smarter than this, but I remember reading somewhere about a hamster doing that with one of her babies.

Snowy said:
I'm glad to hear it's just a whisker pouch! How cute is that, they have pouches of whiskers!

Could you perhaps let the little mommy out of the cage a couple times a day to run around and burn off some energy? It did occur to me that you could put a wheel in her cage up high where the babies couldn't wriggle into it, but I may be afraid of the mom putting a baby in the wheel and then running in it. Maybe rats are smarter than this, but I remember reading somewhere about a hamster doing that with one of her babies.

Mommas are not aloud to have wheels unfortunately :( And she does come out periodically through out the day :D It's when I put her back in she goes nuts! :giggle: But , that new cage should be here any moment ! ( I let my aunt borrow it for a small rabbit) So this should put a smile on her face! I am so proud of little Odyssey , being so young she is doing an incredible job! Three cheers for Odyssey!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

Momma and babies got moved to the bigger nursing cage today :D She is much happier I think. She is getting a little annoyed with me and is letting me know :shock: She is jumping at the bars of the cage when I come too close . Anywho , these are the babies 3 day old pictures :D Enjoy!!

babies02.jpg

babies01.jpg

Anyone want to guess the sex today? :D
babies03.jpg

or this one?
babies04.jpg

Or this one?
babies05.jpg

:tearful: I went to check on the babies moments ago ... One is missing! She isn't anywhere to be found , something must have happened ... :cry3: My poor little baby , this is exactly why I have been so worried
R.I.P. Little unnamed angel
babies05.jpg

I guess her ...cleaning up ... was better so I didn't have to see the baby .. but I hope that is what happened. I miss my little baby though :( The other three are doing great today , and I hope they will all survive and grow up big and strong. Can a neutered male live happily among females?

That's wonderful to hear! I have kind of bonded with one of the males , and I want to see about maybe keeping him :cheeky: SoOo .... I would have to get him neutered :D

Back