Odor coming from the ear?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What works great for me is put the meds on a small piece of bread.....put them in a hidy house in the cage and guard the door while they eat.

I've tried the bread thing before and they don't really like it. I think he's afraid of the syringe? lol I wish everyone took meds like Bella She grabs for the syringe. Dr. Gallon makes all the meds taste like cheese for them so they usually take them really well. The apple sauce thing seems to be working for him :)

We noticed today that Monte's ear was bleeding. The one that was smelling. We used I think like 10 q-tips or so that was full of blood and gunk. I'm thinkin he must have scratched and nicked a scab in his ear? The bleeding seems to have stopped and his ear isn't smelling as bad as it was! So that's good news.
We've also noticed that his pee looks more normal so the meds are working! yay for baytril!

Good to hear he is coming along. Boe was REALLY BAD with his meds, but if you sit there long enough and be very patient, he may just come around. It only took Boe 2 days and then he welcomed the "treat". :D

My standby for meds, little cool whip on the spoon, meds then put pinch of baby food on the meds and mix together. Works like a charm everytime.

LA said:
My standby for meds, little cool whip on the spoon, meds then put pinch of baby food on the meds and mix together. Works like a charm everytime.

cool whip eh? never thought of that. He seems to like the apple sauce stuff it's just he's to busy when he's out of the cage lol so He'll only take in when he's in the cage because he doesn't want any one else to have it lol crazy boy

lindsayfawn said:
We noticed today that Monte's ear was bleeding. The one that was smelling. We used I think like 10 q-tips or so that was full of blood and gunk. I'm thinkin he must have scratched and nicked a scab in his ear? The bleeding seems to have stopped and his ear isn't smelling as bad as it was! So that's good news.
We've also noticed that his pee looks more normal so the meds are working! yay for baytril!
Maybe the abscess in his ear finally drained?

Joanne said:
lindsayfawn said:
Maybe the abscess in his ear finally drained?

Maybe, the stuff on the q-tip didn't smell as bad as before that's for sure! We're checking it every day to see if we can get stuff out of his ear. I did notice though today when we were cleaning it, he looked like it was hurting him. When I put the q-tip in he's kinda cring a bit? I have some metacam still I wonder if he should have any of that?
He only showed it hurt him when the q-tip was in his ear though.

I'd stop going in there with the Qtip, it might encourage him to clean it out. A Qtip could also be pushing whatever it is further in instead of pulling out.

jorats said:
I'd stop going in there with the Qtip, it might encourage him to clean it out. A Qtip could also be pushing whatever it is further in instead of pulling out.

OK. I haven't seen him cleaning it himself yet, so maybe it's not bothering him enough to clean it? It's weird though how much gunk we got out of his ear from the q-tip.

So we had stopped the meds for a few days when he was supposed to but his ear still smells like garbage. It doesn't smell infected anymore but still stinks. So Dr. Gallon said to put him back on the meds and to clean his ear out with Polysporin ear eye drops or the epi-otic ear cleaner stuff we got from her last time.
At least he's taking the meds from a syringe now lol so that's easy but he hates the ear drops. Hopefully it clears it up. I'm glad we caught it so he didn't start with a head tilt.

Back