Odd Mom Going Under Elder Rats and Ignore Her Baby

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBlade

Hey guys,

I just got two new female rats saturday : A young mother who had her babies the 17th of december and one of her female babies.
I know, four week is VERY young to give away babies but that stupid pet shop already gave out most of the babies when I checked how they we're doing. I was planning on getting them two weeks later but the employee told me most got sold out and they we're ready when I asked where the other babies we're. So, decided to take the two I wanted before they we're given out to feeders.

Enyways, at home, the baby is really calm and has a good attitude for such a young age. I just wanted to ask about her mom. I came to visit those rats one or two times a week since she got her babies. I saw them at 24h old the first time - so cute. I noticed that the mother was more interested in licking my hand than her babies. She kicked them off of her when she noticed I was there and came to lick me and wouldn't let me go unless I really pushed her off of me and leave. She's a sweetie but, she looks kinda young - maybe teenager, around 5-6 months I would guess. And here at home, my two elder ratties - Zumi and Yuki are being nice to her but they're kinda grumpy when she tries to get under them. That's what I find that's funny about her behaviour. She keeps trying to go under Zumi and Yuki. When she succeeds, she keeps wagging her tail and be happy about it. But yeah, she totally ignores her baby (which I think is a blue hooded but not sure). Zumi, who is really grumpy and keep crying when other rats annoy her, seems to really like the baby and takes care of her, which I think is really sweet ^^''

But enyways, my first questions is : Is the mother okay cuz I never seen a rat act like this and she does it with both Zumi and Yuki.
Second Question : Is my baby a blue hooded or it's more of a gray hooded? ^^''

2uxyz9i.jpg

Going under a rat often means she is asking to be groomed as a dominant or submitting to grooming as a subordinate...the tail wagging sounds more like subbie behaviour. it can be so complex. She is ignoring her bub because she is weaning most likely :)

Your baby is blue, since there is no "grey" in rat colours :)

A rat is pretty much full grown and adult at 6 to 7 months of age.
It's quite normal for mom to no longer be paying any attention to the baby... but is now probably more concerned in being part of the colony and from what it seems... maybe being alpha too.

Back