Odd Medication Combo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate

Six months ago Silber came down with a dreaded dose of Myco. As usual it was at a bad time where we couldn't get to a Vet so as a last resort I gave him some Doxy and half a tablet of Ketofen which I had. I don't understand the reason why or how, but this combo worked great !! Within 2 days all signs of it had gone. I kept him on this dose for a few days after just to be sure and so far it hasn't returned :thumbup: This is the only time ever that something has worked, and worked quickly as well. Those who know of me will know the heartache we have been through with numerous Ratty Men over the years succumbing tho this horrid illness. From what I can remember I got the Ketofen for pain when I had one of my Ratty Men neutered. I believe the anti-inflammatory properties may be a key. I wouldn't hesitate to use this combo again and I will be asking my Vet for this next time.

Regards Kate and Silber, Axel, and Riley :heart:

That's really good news and I've heard of adding an anti-inflammatory to help treat myco. I'll definitely mention this to my vet. :joy:

It's suggested that you can use a bronchodilator such as Aminophylline,Theophylline, or Albuterol. They relax the smooth bronchial muscle, which opens the airway up and allows them to breathe easier. Dexamethasone, an NSAID, is also used for roughly the same purpose.

I am surprised that doxycycline worked as the only medication if he had a severe URI. Most times you need to do baytril in the very least or a combo for a bad one.

With Jedy I had tried everything and the one that worked the best was the doxy alone. It cleared him up within 4 days.

Back