"Odd man out" - three males

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratigan

My three boy ratties have been together in the same cage since they were babies. They used to spend their time together in a heap. Now they are growing up, and I notice that two stick together and the other one is always on his own. It's always the same one on his own. I've never seen or heard them fighting, so I don't think it has to do with aggression or not getting along.

Would the "odd" rat be lonely, or is this normal when there is an odd number of rats living together? I'm willing to adopt a fourth rat if needed.

Some rats prefer to sleep alone. There's no guarantee that this guy would get along with a new rat too. Rats don't normally pair up. It's more that the two buddies bonded because they are that type of rat while the third guy is perfectly happy with living with his buddies but still needs his space.

Some rats prefer to sleep alone. There's no guarantee that this guy would get along with a new rat too. Rats don't normally pair up. It's more that the two buddies bonded because they are that type of rat while the third guy is perfectly happy with living with his buddies but still needs his space.

Thanks! I'm glad it's nothing to worry about and that they should all be happy.

Back