Odd looking lump

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a long time but thought i would share this ...'experience'. One of my girls (Pony) has a lump that has very quickly developed (like, it wasn't there a few days ago). She is around a year old. The lump is squishy and pretty much disappears depending on how i handle her. There is no blood from her vaginal area. I am setting up the spare cage with white cotton on the bottom to see what her urine is like. I haven't noticed any blood around the cage though. She is being a bit skittish but i don't know if that's because the puppy is being stupid. She is a very tiny rat (268g) and has had constant problems with URI's.

I have pictures
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

I am taking both girls to work with me tomorrow and will hopefully get them seen by a vet tomorrow afternoon so will be able to update then. Seems like the last of my wages has to go on vet bills :roll:

ETA: I should add there are no scratches, wounds in the area and the skin isn't reddened or going black like it's going to scab

That's some type of hernia. Some vets will repair while others leave it alone. My mom had her Hobo done. She's a pretty girl!
I've got a pic of it somewhere...

Looking at yours, it seems quite low. I hope it's not a mammary tumour. I know that with hernias sometimes they disappear and then reappear.

A hernia.. I never considered that. I have a feeling my vet will want to do surgery if it is. Do you know how urgent that would need to be done? I'd rather wait until next Thursday if i can for pay day but if it needs to be done urgently then i can dig in to savings. i felt it all and couldn't find a lump, not even a tiny one. I hope it isn't a tumour or doesn't develop in to one :/ i had Muirenn and Clodagh put to sleep together a while back now because of mammary tumours. I was worrying about something with her uterus but i don't know if its higher than her uterine horn or too central for that :/

Her hernia is usually not pressing unless it's causing her pain. But she doesn't look in distress. Is she? Hobo didn't seem to mind it at all.

I don't think she is in pain. I was able to touch it without her reacting in any odd ways. She thinks humans are gross so she hasn't ever been the cuddliest of rats, so i dont think her behaviour is any different. I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow :) thanks for the help

With both Hobo and Rusty I could push the lump back into their bodies. Vet only repaired the hernias because I preferred it. Otherwise she said they could remain like that until something happened. Good luck with your sweetie.

mallymkun had a tumor in that same spot. Bindi did as well.
Had both removed the same day

539921_10150635360531409_634516408_9546892_238675624_n.jpg

533616_10150635360586409_634516408_9546893_1302585811_n.jpg

it looks like a tumor to me.

Thanks for the replies.
The vet said it felt squishy but also rather gritty. he thinks that it is the beginning of a mammary tumour but we need to keep an eye on it. I will be devastated if it is, in a rat so young :( She is on meds for a URI - again!! third time in 10 months *sigh*. I'm not even going to think about lump removals yet. I think these will be the last two rats i own for a while (although i do currently have 6 rescued boys on loan to a college which i may retire in a year and bring home)

I think i am safe for now until this tumour solidifies, if it does. My contract at work ends mid August so i don't know if i will have a job soon to be able to pay for anything - hence why i can't consider anything at this moment in time

Hi everyone,
I thought I would give an update. We went back to the vet four weeks later to discuss surgery and any possible treatments. The lump had doubled in size by then and it was determined that it was unoperable because there is no telling what it is connected to. Pony has also fought many URI's in her short life so they weren't sure about anaesthetic. She was placed on meds (steroids, antibiotics and something to open the airways) to try and sort her chest out to make her as comfortable as possible for her remaining time.

Here are some photo's from today - sorry they are so bad. I was trying to keep the dog out of the cage lol

IMG_2646-1.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

She has put on 58g which is all tumour. I am calling the vets to see if I can get her in this week to be put to sleep :sad3: She is only just over a year old. She lives with another rat who is going to be left on her own. I 'adopted' a rat from work that was the last of the group there to try and intro them but they have just been fighting. This other rat (she doesn't have a name, just known as "the black rat" or "horrible rat" as my boyfriend calls her because she isn't friendly with people) has a mammary tumour the size of a pea but it hasn't grown since i've had her here. She is also an older girl and probably closer too or over two years old. I am just going to have to work on them and try and get them together. I am not getting any more rats after these have gone. I was thinking i had longer with them than I am getting though :sad3:

Awww, I'm sorry :(
It's tough enough to lose our ratties after a long and full life, let alone when she should be in her prime. Kisses to your girl. I hope that the other two can learn to get along. If not, could you try one of the other rats on loan?

Back