Odd-Eye questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

Hey, so I recently took home a new rat, who is an odd eye. I noticed he tends to have more porphyrin build up around his red eye versus his black eye. Is this normal? He isn't sick-- I've already rat phoned him, checked his poos, and watched him eat and drink. He sounds normal, plays normally, eats and drinks normally, the only thing is his red eye tends to have more porphyrin build up than his black eye.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. My siamese brothers don't have porphyrin build up, but they are older and I see them groom more. I usually notice the porphyrin build up after he's been sleeping. I wonder if this is like horses who have blue eyes or albino animals-- their eyes are more sensitive to light because of the blues and reds.

I've never had an odd-eyed kid, but I've had enough ratties to know that some just have more porphyrin than others, quite apart from health issues, and it's not uncommon for one eye to produce more. Sounds normal to me.. If he has excessive porphyrin you could try Liquid Immuno.

Back