Nylabones -- Low Protein

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lise

Okay, so where have you guys found the low protein Nylabone Edibles??

I actually took the time to go through every single flavour at the largest pet superstore here, and every single one had approximately 60% protein.

Is there somewhere online to get them with reasonable shipping?

My rats go nuts over greenies and nylabone edibles, but I don't give them more than once every 3 months or so because they are sooo high in protein. It would be nice to be able to find the low protein alternative.

Also, is there any other brand other than greenies and nylabones that is rat approved? :D

I buy mine at Petsmart. The protein is like 1.5% and the fat is 0.5%
They are called Healthy Nylabone Edibles. I can't find them in any other store in my city.

Of course, we don't have Petsmart here. Go figure. Someone want to open a franchise with me? LOL

I think they are like apple and carrot flavoured IIRC. The ones I find here are all bacon/cheese/chicken/pork chop flavoured. :(

There are the strawberry and banana flavours. But there's also the filet mignon, pork chops and beef flavours available with low protein.

Edit: Don't listen to me, I'm a liar. LOL

I just realized I have pork chop flavour and it is indeed low protein. Hooray! I remembered my dilemma from the store was this was the ONLY flavour in stock low protein.

OMG early onset senility. :(

Oh yeah, the fruit ones have been discontinued for a long time. I remember Kim's Ark stacking up on them and offering them through the rescue.
I think that maybe these new, low protein, ones are replacing those by the sounds of it. I don't think the ones you mention here are discontinued.

Okay so to change the question up a bit: Like I said I normally gave 1 high protein dog bone every 3 months for a BIG treat!

How often do you think a low protein one can be given, without loading the ratkids up on "junk food"?

I'm the wrong person to ask cause I'm very very cheap on treats, even the low protein ones. The only treats my guys get are cheerios, they get that once a week and the nylabones, about once every three months.

Mine prefer the filet mignon. They get one bone a week but they are a colony of 10 in the cage. I don't see one rat eating it all, they just nibble and move on to something else and another rat takes over. The bone lasts about 4 days.

mamarat said:
Mine prefer the filet mignon. They get one bone a week but they are a colony of 10 in the cage. I don't see one rat eating it all, they just nibble and move on to something else and another rat takes over. The bone lasts about 4 days.

There are different sizes of bones, mamarat gives the small bones.

I give my rats the smaller bones too, pork chop flavour. I get my hubby to cut them in half so all the rats get at least a piece each. I used to just give the crew just a couple of bones for them to share but I just couldn't stand the fighting. The pitiful cry was so sad to hear when one rat would pry the bone from the other rat's mouth. :wantsome: :nohear:

That video was hilarious! Poor tykes were running around so much with it, nobody got the chance to eat any. I loved the little one being pulled, where his little legs were all splayed out.

I get the fruit flavoured one at my petsmart all the time.... the girls love them. I've never seen low protein in the meat flavoured ones, though... I've checked every time I go. I guess I'll check harder next time.

Back