Nuts in shell.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rilence

1465222_10202698084883049_673442874_n.jpg

We always have these close to Christmas; Bought these for my rats.

And of course, the almonds are going to be only eaten by humans (Almond skin are one of the ingredients in rats' poison!)

I gave my rats a couple of walnuts last week, made such a noise trying to get into them then fighting over them. i think they enjoyed it in the end :)

Im glad i'm not the only one, ha ha. I bought some walnuts the other day. Seeing Cleo take it down 4 flights of stairs into the bottom pan where she sleeps is FUNNY lol

WHAT?!
Almond skin is that toxic?!

Maybe it's just an extremely high concenctration of some component of them...

I've never gave our boys walnuts without starting to crack them for them. Next time they are on their own.. Never heard that about almonds?!?!

Almond skins are bad for rodents, or so a hamsters' expert told me in the past.
Always to skin them before feeding. So I always stick to it to be safe - I end up not giving them the Almonds altogether to play safe.

I gave the rest of the nuts to them though.

Sweet almonds, what you buy in the store to eat, are just fine for rats. And people.
Bitter almonds have cyanide in their skin. They would not sell them in the grocery stores for people to eat. People are poisoned by cyanide too. So almonds that you buy that you would eat are safe for your rats to eat too.

Joanne said:
Sweet almonds, what you buy in the store to eat, are just fine for rats. And people.
Bitter almonds have cyanide in their skin. They would not sell them in the grocery stores for people to eat. People are poisoned by cyanide too. So almonds that you buy that you would eat are safe for your rats to eat too.

Thanks Joanne, I forgot to say that they don't sell bitter almonds in the grocery store.
They *might* sell them in a health food store, but I'm pretty sure that they would clearly label them as bitter almonds.

tulipgirl said:
Oh okay so I don't have to toss my nuts lol. How do you tell the difference?
I don't know if you can tell the difference just by looks. I would go by where and how you purchased them. They are not going to sell bitter almonds just anywhere as they contain a toxic compound.

I'll still eat the almonds for myself because I am too much of a scardey cat to risk anything!

My boys are still enjoying other nuts so I am happy!

my boys love their nuts in the shells! they seem to like all of them except the walnuts. maybe they don't want to work that hard! LOL! I'll try cracking them and see if they'll finish the job. they seem to like the hazelnuts best.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Back